Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Engine is out , what else should I do ?

Hi,
I pulled the engine from my 79 930 today to fix the major oil leak coming from the oil cooler. This is the first time I have had the engine out of the car (though I have only had it for just over a year). I am planning to do the valve cover gaskets as well as the timing chain covers. Is there anything else I should take care of since the engine is out ? Are SC cams worth sourcing and installing ?

thanks for any help

Oskar
Old 06-09-2007, 11:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Check your clutch, and all the other seals. would also be a good idea to change out the sensors on the back of the engine (a pain if engine is intalled). I am doing SC cams on my rebuild, and have been told its well worth it. You will have to tear down a good portion of the motor to install though so may not be worth it for you quite yet. Make sure you have the cam tensioner update done as well.
06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle
Old 06-09-2007, 11:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by AngM018
Check your clutch, and all the other seals. would also be a good idea to change out the sensors on the back of the engine (a pain if engine is intalled). I am doing SC cams on my rebuild, and have been told its well worth it. You will have to tear down a good portion of the motor to install though so may not be worth it for you quite yet. Make sure you have the cam tensioner update done as well.
and don't forget the K27, headers, adj.wur and new IC,lol
Old 06-09-2007, 11:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
If your clutch has a rubber centre you might be best to change it to a spring centred one.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 06-10-2007, 02:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

You don't provide enough info to comment on the cam change. Its a fair amount of work for a cam change. If you don't change the cams, at least adjust the valve lash. Otherwise, don't fix what isn't broken and re-install the motor.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
930s rule the wasteland

Send a message via AIM to h20cooled7
update the sound absorber
1984 944
2001 VW golf TDI
Old 06-10-2007, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Cams, valve adjust, ditch rubber clutch disk, check head studs*, chain tensioner update, and re-seal what ever you can get to. My advice would be to just buy the master gasket kit for the motor. How many miles?
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 06-11-2007, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

engine out

Thanks for the suggestions.

The car has 65k on it. The previous owner did a bit to the engine such as new turbo (k28/27 hybrid), headers and a B&B intercooler. Nothing has been done to the internals but the chain-tensioners have been updated.

I pulled the engine to fix the oil leak at the oil cooler/pressure switch. Figured I would change the valve cover gaskets as well since they seem to be leaking a slight bit. I could do the cams but am leaning towards leaving the stock ones in. The car is very laggy which can be the large inefficient turbo.

thanks again
Old 06-11-2007, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Cams could wake it up down low depending on timing and the large compressor will still pull up top....
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 06-11-2007, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I don't know if you are already doing these... breather gasket, thermostat 0-ring, and oil pressure switch. They are cheap parts, that usually leak sooner or later.

Take pictures of your work and post! We love pictures.

"Driving in its most beautiful form"
Old 06-14-2007, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Re: engine out

Quote:
Originally posted by NoSloVo
Thanks for the suggestions.

The car has 65k on it. The previous owner did a bit to the engine such as new turbo (k28/27 hybrid), headers and a B&B intercooler. Nothing has been done to the internals but the chain-tensioners have been updated.

I pulled the engine to fix the oil leak at the oil cooler/pressure switch. Figured I would change the valve cover gaskets as well since they seem to be leaking a slight bit. I could do the cams but am leaning towards leaving the stock ones in. The car is very laggy which can be the large inefficient turbo.

thanks again
The "while you're in there syndrome" can get out of hand. If its not leaking, clean it up a bit and leave it alone. Otherwise, you could be chasing additional leaks where there was none. You should answer the questions - is it leaking? Is it broken? If both answers are no, leave it alone.

And you are probably right about the laggy problem - a perfect example of WTF. For whatever the reason, the porsche community at large is very big on the "bolt-on" and "it's expensive, so it must work" theory. To have this car work properly, decide what you want to acheive, buy parts that are designed (and proven) to work together, then tune it correctly. Yep, even a CIS system. You'll save big money. One last comment - sometimes the least "sexy" upgrade (the one that is the simplest, most likely close to original stock design - like the airbox - and has been around for a while, works the best.

Last edited by DonE; 06-15-2007 at 01:23 PM..
Old 06-15-2007, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: