Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
one of the great unwashed

Turbo Feed Oil Bypass

I'm over-pressurizing the old Rajay with oil pressure, such that it will blow it by the ring and seal on the turbine side of the turbocharger. It's quite messy, and smokes a lot.

I have an 0.080" restrictor in the feed line, and a pressure gauge downstream of it. I will get the full 80 PSI of pressure at start up, of nice thick cold oil, which the turbo will not drain fast enough.

I need a pressure bypass upstream of the feed inlet, so that I can limit the pressure into the turbo. I basically have gotten to the point where I don't feel like reinventing the wheel again this week, so perhaps someone has one, or knows where one can be obtained. Basically, a ball and spring, that will open at 30 pounds or so. The turbo is currently being reworked in the center section to allow for a better drain capability on the turbine side, but I think the bypass will be extremely beneficial.

And, yes, I know I should upgrade the turbo, but I'm stubborn.

TIA

Pat
Old 07-02-2007, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Pat i think I had restricted my line down to .18 about the size of a hair.
It still flowed plenty of oil to the Turbo which surprised me but kept it from smoking, it would of been real easy for that restrictor to get plugged.
I was using nitrous nozzles and had a variety of them by the time i was through. I started with a .36 and worked all the way down to the .18 before the oil would stop blowing through.

There are more reasons than just oil blow by to upgrade the turbo, the snappiness of the K27 7200 is worth it. The Rayjay is great for the long pull were it seems to make all its HP were as the K27 gives you its all right away which I would think is better suited for a low boost setup.

914 6 Turbo twinplug 3.12
87 924S
Lexus SC400
Lexus LS400
Old 07-03-2007, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Re: Turbo Feed Oil Bypass

Quote:
Originally posted by patkeefe
I'm over-pressurizing the old Rajay with oil pressure, such that it will blow it by the ring and seal on the turbine side of the turbocharger. It's quite messy, and smokes a lot.

I have an 0.080" restrictor in the feed line, and a pressure gauge downstream of it. I will get the full 80 PSI of pressure at start up, of nice thick cold oil, which the turbo will not drain fast enough.

I need a pressure bypass upstream of the feed inlet, so that I can limit the pressure into the turbo. I basically have gotten to the point where I don't feel like reinventing the wheel again this week, so perhaps someone has one, or knows where one can be obtained. Basically, a ball and spring, that will open at 30 pounds or so. The turbo is currently being reworked in the center section to allow for a better drain capability on the turbine side, but I think the bypass will be extremely beneficial.

And, yes, I know I should upgrade the turbo, but I'm stubborn.

TIA

Pat
you know call Orrin @eurosport ltd in denver he has/ or knows of the a very slick setup that does exactly what you need.. you will not be able to find a website but you can google the name and get a phone number there addy is union c or somthing like this.. let me know if you need any more info let me know

Current project 73 914-6 Gt project rusteration 2.4
914-6werkshop.com ,heat exchangers, oil tanks, etc
Old 07-03-2007, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
one of the great unwashed

I got their number, but they were gone home. I'll call back later this week. Tim says the turbo just doesn't drain well, and the pressure is forcing the oil past the turbine side seal. He is going to machine it to get me some more drain room in the cavity.

If I didn't have the engine in the car, I might consider switching turbos. I just don't want to take it out again, at least until the snow covers the roads.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by patkeefe
I got their number, but they were gone home. I'll call back later this week. Tim says the turbo just doesn't drain well, and the pressure is forcing the oil past the turbine side seal. He is going to machine it to get me some more drain room in the cavity.

If I didn't have the engine in the car, I might consider switching turbos. I just don't want to take it out again, at least until the snow covers the roads.
leave a message if need be as they are uber busy all the time. try calling back several times eventually you will get someone.. it is unbelievable how busy they are

Current project 73 914-6 Gt project rusteration 2.4
914-6werkshop.com ,heat exchangers, oil tanks, etc
Old 07-04-2007, 04:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: