Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Wink Question Re: 930 3.3 upgrades

Hi gang! Please comment on this engine.

I'm considering buying a 1976 930 with quite a few performance upgrades to develop as a track car. It has all the normal suspension upgrades etc.

The motor was replaced with a rebuilt 82 European 930 3.3 as follows. I don't know anything about the 3.3 or what combinations work. Any input would be appreciated. The motor only has a 6,000 miles on it but was rebuilt in 1991. The car been run twice a month and the price seems to be pretty cheap for the total package. But we all know that story.

Motor was totally rebuilt in 1991 by Galen Bridges, Inc. (I think they were in Georgia or at least the east coast) New pistons & cylinders, bearings, valves, rocker arms, etc.

-82 Euro 930 3.3 Liter
-911 SC Camshafts
-new K27 Turbo and rebuilt wastegate
-twin plug/crank fired electronic ignition
-adjustable Turbo boost knob in cockpit with gauge
-aftermarket intercooler w/intake and exhaust temp gauge in console
-microfueler and fuel management system
-Lemke racing oil cooler w/aeroquipfittings and steel braided lines
-modified 4 outlet muffler and straight pipe (no muffler) for racing.

Seller recalls the motor should be about 450 HP. The car took third place in the Walter Mitty in 1990 out of 35 cars with street tires? If anyone recalls the car. Color light green.

Thanks for any help! Steve

Last edited by SEguina; 10-23-2007 at 08:59 PM..
Old 10-23-2007, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I don't know this car specifically but I wouldn't be surprised with 450. You have compression and leakdown checked? 16 years and only 6000 miles is sad ... poor car probably starved for attention! ;-) Do you know total mileage? Some of those 30 year old tubs are getting pretty tired, but if you seam weld her up, reinforce the suspension points and weld in a cage she should be good for track use.

The Porsche Owners Club could use another turbo running on the track...
Cheers, PDQ
Old 10-24-2007, 10:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

A 1976 did not have adequate brakes for the track or even the street, really. Brake upgrade?

The nice thing about the '76 is that it is the lightest 930 by a hundred or more pounds, and you have the bigger engine.

An engine that was used for racing could easily be worn out after 6000 miles...

When you say fuel management, do you mean Electronic Fuel Injection- or does it still have a more primitive system?

Any idea how many miles the body has on it? You should check every inch of the frame for damage with a qualified shop when you have them do a Porsche Inspection.

You want to ask yourself the tough questions...

If everything checks out and you don't mind the price, why not? But everything has to check out.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Adrenaline Junkie

Garage
I couldn't agree more. When I brake hard, my 77 turbo feels like someone is underneath my car beating the wheels with a hammer! And I ain't slowing down any quicker because of it!

It makes for one fearful event.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: