Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Not yet on mine, but it should not tear if the wevo is welded along the bottom edge where it meets the seem of the chassis panels as well as along its outer perimeter.
Make sure the sway bar is not binding in the bushing and putting torque on that joint!
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 03-25-2008, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I wondered about this myself. As I removed the old broken sway bar mount, the area below seemed to be made of layers of sheetmetal. We welded all the way around the new WEVO mount, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobieboy View Post

On the Wevo mount, one question/comment - buddy of mine had upgraded his sway bar mount. The mount held up (its now Wevo), but the weak part after this "upgrade" was the sheet metal! The mount and bar actually started tearing the sheet metal off the car so he had to weld & reinforce the whole area. Anyone had experienced this?
Old 03-27-2008, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

From the WTH dept.

My carís PO or POx2 installed TRG sways front and back. Installation was top notch with the exception of rear driver side mount.
They welded the pillow block on the passenger side and then bolted the driverís side up to the stock mount.
The car passed PPI / my inspection and then 2 moís later I see the arm dangling through the fender well

Thanks for starting the thread Serge, I see now I need Wevoís!

Old 03-27-2008, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Me like track days

Be reeeeeealy careful welding in the new WEVO mounts......fuel components very nearby.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig 930 RS View Post
Be reeeeeealy careful welding in the new WEVO mounts......fuel components very nearby.

Yes Craig...I agree completely....and following all you said all, I'm not sure to make the WEVO upgrade.....

Because, first of all, my body car is in absolutly perfect condition, no rust, not any damage on the rubber protection and in fact...nice collector as it is.....

Secondly, as I can see, there are some difficulties to fit correctly the new mounts...and I saw that concretly on my car....as follow.....

So, I have to think and design a solution, preserving the body....I will look for something screwed, but I don't want to weld, beeing afraid of destroying the stock steel rust treatement........

What about that idea....?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10207116408000968&set=gm.1723624077 855805&type=3&theater
Old 03-28-2008, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Me like track days

Why not?

Your car is very much modified and changed as is, AND it is essentially a track car used on the street - why not the WEVO mounts?
Old 03-28-2008, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig 930 RS View Post
Why not?

Your car is very much modified and changed as is, AND it is essentially a track car used on the street - why not the WEVO mounts?

Craig, all the mods I did are "reversible"....only parts wich can be screwed or unscrewed.....

But I'm afraid, seeing Zeb930 pic, to destroy the steel treatement and of course, the reliability of the body....for the future......and, on the left side, there's a plate to protect the fuel pomp wich is what...screwed or welded...?..

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10207116408000968&set=gm.1723624077 855805&type=3&theater
Old 03-28-2008, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Add WEVO or beef up existing with 1/8" gussets and clearance the tranny crossmember. From there, use WURTH undercoating to replicate factory. larger sways will tear a mount off, might as well address it upfront.

If you add a spacer or adaptor, you just increase the leverage on the factory mounts, exacerbating the problem.

Doug
Old 03-28-2008, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Welding is very reversible, just not as easy as unbolting.

Doug
Old 03-28-2008, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

If you're doing wevo's

For the fuelpump. Remove the two nuts holding the pump, then jerk it out backwards. Should be able to place it on the controlarm, without losening any fuellines. Wrap it in something fireproof.
Cut the Fuelpump mountingplate in the place shown in picture, then you will be able to bend the whole plate away from the swaymount and get enough room to work with the left mount. When the wevomounts is in place you just weld it back or as I did make a bolted version.

And for reliability wurth zinkspray

And wurth undercoating
Old 03-28-2008, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Me like track days

Great advice - that is what we did.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Good job Zeb930 and thanks for the pics......

I got an idea, considering how and where the "efforts" are on the stock mounts.....I'll try to design reinforcements with keeping the stock ones wich are in very good condition on my car.......I'll let you know asap......

Old 03-30-2008, 02:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: