Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Wayah Road Warrior

I hear ya Matt.

Driving my 3.2 was simple .... put right foot into floorboard, rev limiter would do the rest.

This boost and RPM equation is a different driving style for me. More importantly, I prefer not to explode my engine. I have kind of grown attached to it's growl.

Last edited by Shadetree930; 04-09-2008 at 06:05 PM..
Old 04-09-2008, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Well there is interesting corelation between 930 and 3.2 engine longevity and driving style.
3.2's have often pulled rod bolts and worn valve guides. But you'll be hard pressured to find a 930 engine with snapped rods, despite running same (exactly the same) crank and bolts. (pulled studs and leaky heads on the other hand...)

It must be the different driving styles. 3.2 users, having 100hp-is less, ding their rev-limiter every now and then, believeing "that's how it's ment to be driven" then learning "how it's ment to be rebuilt".

930 on the other hand just falls flat on it's a$$ above 6000 RPM...there is no point reving it's guts out other than sounding racey (altough it doesn't go quicker).

Last edited by beepbeep; 04-10-2008 at 07:04 AM..
Old 04-10-2008, 03:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Like Goran says, if you've got a stock 930, just no point exceeding 5,000 and change - except for the glorious howl.

Just be aware you're way out of the power band by 6,000 and the power curves are falling off a cliff. Regardless of what it actually feels like in the car (yes, it feels like it pulls hard all the way to redline, been there).

SC cams, factory H/E's, I/C & 3DLZ. Max power @ 5,700, peak torque @ 5,200.
SC cams, GHLs, Kokeln and K27/HF. Max power @ 6,100, peak torque @ 5,700.

I don't believe the factory 930 cams make more top-end power than the SC cams. In fact, I believe quite the opposite.

I'd suggest you get a dyno pull and look at the graph, decide your own optimum shift point. Not to mention checking your on-boost AFR's. Only reason I ever go to a dyno.

The factory rod bolts don't always make holes in the cases. But they almost always take at least one crank journal. And they'll take the rod everytime. This gets expensive.

I hit my new rev limiter precisely once to test that it worked (which it did, @ 7,200 RPM) since fitting ARP rod bolts, SuperTec head studs, new crank and rods. Far as I'm concerned, it's extra insurance against a spaced/late shift (I don't have a 930 gearbox), not a ticket to rev out of the power band.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
I'm probably going to get slammed for this, but the reason you would want to exceed the 5700-6100 peak is to put you closer to or into the power band in the next gear...

Back on track, I have a boost gauge with the tell tale, and I've watched the tell tale needle creep on it's own even when boost was very low - It may be sticking to the boost needle down at the pivot point.
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'74 914 track basket-case
Old 04-11-2008, 11:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: