Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Doug Siegel

MSD install question

Does the 930 use a magnetic pickup distributor and voltage triggered tach??

Use the magnetic pickup trigger or the white wire to neg side of coil???

I've got the MDS 8920 tach adapter. Is this the correct one or do I need the 8910?

Thanks.
88' blk/blk 930: Haltech EFI, Twin Plug, Pauter Rods, Nascar Bearings, custom crank work, dowel pinned case, ported manifold and heads, Kokeln I/C, SC Cams, Turbonetics ball bearing 62-1, BB headers, RARLYL8 Zork, additional 993 oil filter, plx/inyourface gage, RS style coilover, Fikse FM10-17 wheels, TIAL 46mm 1 bar. (where the heck did all my money go?)
Old 04-21-2008, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I don' tremember what tach adapter I used, but it a square black plastic box.

MSD Installation Instructions On A Porsche 911

You'll need the tach adapter if you want to keep the stock tach.

Here's some question and answer info I got from Steve Weiner who owns Rennsport Systems:

QUESTION: I'm installing an MSD 6AL in my '87 930 and have a question about the wiring. Here goes:

1- The large red wire goes to the battery or Positive lug on the starter solenoid.
2- The large black wire goes to ground.
3- The small orange wire goes to the Positive side of the coil.
4- The small black wire goes to the Negative side of the coil.
5- The small red wire goes to switched Pos.
5- The white wire is used to trigger a MSD shift light.
6- The violet wire?
7- The green wire?

Since the Turbo uses a magnetic pick up type distributor, my question is which wire does the MSD violet wire connect to and which wire does the MSD green wire connect to coming out of the distributor? Or does it even matter which one I connect to?

ANSWER: You are right in that the violet & green wires conduct the trigger voltage to the MSD. This is phase sensitive and must be connected correctly otherwise the car will not start or run poorly. Connect the green wire to the center conductor and violet wire to the shield.

I didn't want to cut any of my harness up, so I unplugged the wiring harness off the CD and connected my wires there (the ones from the distributor).

NOTES: In addition, to make the tach work correctly, the tach adapter is used and:
1- The red wire is to switched Pos.
2- The black wire is to ground.
3- The white wire goes to the tach output on the MSD unit itself.
4- The violet wire is run to the tach input (the purple and black wire by the CD unit).

Old 04-21-2008, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I should get a nickel for everytime I've post this. I'd be rich!
Old 04-21-2008, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

A930Rocket-
You should post that on a tech page! That is a very nice description on how to wire these without hacking the harness.
I hacked mine because there was no way I was putting the stock GARBAGE back in and I wanted to eliminate the stupidity and or temptation of the next owner to do so.
MSD = more spark 2-300$
Porsche CDI= $1200+ Less spark
Hmmmm, I am torn on which I would use...
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 04-21-2008, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Doug Siegel

Thanks Rocket. I also used the plug/harness.
My mistakes thus far....
I may not have tied off the white wire properly, it might have grounded.
The violet wire is not attached to the purple/black
The small red wire might not be attached to proper switched power.

356-930 told me that when he installed his MSD, timing retarded 15 degrees. Did this happen to you?

If you are anywhere near Willmington NC, I'll be playing music this coming Saturday...

Thanks again!!!!

Doug
88' blk/blk 930: Haltech EFI, Twin Plug, Pauter Rods, Nascar Bearings, custom crank work, dowel pinned case, ported manifold and heads, Kokeln I/C, SC Cams, Turbonetics ball bearing 62-1, BB headers, RARLYL8 Zork, additional 993 oil filter, plx/inyourface gage, RS style coilover, Fikse FM10-17 wheels, TIAL 46mm 1 bar. (where the heck did all my money go?)
Old 04-21-2008, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I'm using a MSD6AL, so there is no retard capability. Using an advanced timing light, I've checked mine 26* at 4000 rpm.

If you can, run your main power source to the battery. If you ever try to jump start the car, you might fry the box. It's best to just charge the battery with it disconnected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsiegel360 View Post
Thanks Rocket. I also used the plug/harness.
My mistakes thus far....
I may not have tied off the white wire properly, it might have grounded.
The violet wire is not attached to the purple/black
The small red wire might not be attached to proper switched power.

356-930 told me that when he installed his MSD, timing retarded 15 degrees. Did this happen to you?

If you are anywhere near Willmington NC, I'll be playing music this coming Saturday...

Thanks again!!!!

Doug
Old 04-22-2008, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Doug Siegel

Rocket,

I got it running today. The power source I'm using is from the old plug harness/permatune, which I assume goes straight to the battery. Before I began install I went to the permatune website for pics of the old 6 pin connector. This made it pretty easy. Rather than using the existing connection that goes to the battery, are you suggesting I run a new line to the battery? Is a battery tender/trickle charger going to hurt the MSD?

Even though the car is now running, I want to make sure all is installed safely. I don't want anything frying, so I'm happy to receive suggestions.

Thanks,
Doug
Old 04-22-2008, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

It should go straight to the battery and I don't think a trickle charger will hurt it. I would check the old wiring though to see where the power is coming from. You don't want power going through an undersized wire.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Msd

[QUOTE=
MSD = more spark 2-300$
Porsche CDI= $1200+ Less spark
Hmmmm, I am torn on which I would use...[/QUOTE]

How much difference in spark?
Old 04-23-2008, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Doug Siegel

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by timc View Post
How much difference in spark?
Lot's o spark!
Old 04-23-2008, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Doug Siegel

Thanks Rocket, I'll make sure I check it out. Also, I want rewire my pos wires for the tach adapter, rpm activated solenoid, MSD small red wire, and plx gages, so I'll be studying schematics and the wires themselves. Where does the wiring from the engine bay to the battery currently run?
Old 04-23-2008, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Timc-
I'm not sure exactly how much more powerful it is, but it definitely has more.
My CDI unit was breaking up under full load @ 20 Psi with plug gaps set at 22 where the MSD just shrugged it off when I ran that same boost with gaps set at 26. The MSD does out perform the stocker in that way and also the fact that I could replace that MSD 5 times over for the cost.
I'm not knocking the technology- in its day it was probably the hottest spark around.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 04-23-2008, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I think it runs through the tunnel. You can just run a seperate wire as need through the tunnel, but make your own opening using a grommet. Inside the tunnel though, if you can't secure it all the way through, I'd be inclined to sheath it in some convoluted tubing or something to protect it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsiegel360 View Post
Thanks Rocket, I'll make sure I check it out. Also, I want rewire my pos wires for the tach adapter, rpm activated solenoid, MSD small red wire, and plx gages, so I'll be studying schematics and the wires themselves. Where does the wiring from the engine bay to the battery currently run?
Old 04-23-2008, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Msd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930gt-40r View Post
Timc-
I'm not sure exactly how much more powerful it is, but it definitely has more.
My CDI unit was breaking up under full load @ 20 Psi with plug gaps set at 22 where the MSD just shrugged it off when I ran that same boost with gaps set at 26. The MSD does out perform the stocker in that way and also the fact that I could replace that MSD 5 times over for the cost.
I'm not knocking the technology- in its day it was probably the hottest spark around.
I understand, just curious as I was also considering this conversion, and probably will when I begin to increase the HP. Thankyou.

Dsiegel360 - Sorry for imposing on your thread, was really curious about any performance increase. Good luck on your conversion.

Tim
Old 04-24-2008, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: