Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Happiest when Tinkering

Where should I put my air filter?

Since the EFI doesn't use any MAF and the throttle body is on the intake does anybody have any good pics of where to route the air cleaner.

76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 02-26-2009, 03:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Doug Siegel

EFI air filter placement

Good luck!
88' blk/blk 930: Haltech EFI, Twin Plug, Pauter Rods, Nascar Bearings, custom crank work, dowel pinned case, ported manifold and heads, Kokeln I/C, SC Cams, Turbonetics ball bearing 62-1, BB headers, RARLYL8 Zork, additional 993 oil filter, plx/inyourface gage, RS style coilover, Fikse FM10-17 wheels, TIAL 46mm 1 bar. (where the heck did all my money go?)
Old 02-26-2009, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Thanks, that is a good idea but that is where I planned on putting the msd unit. Any other pics out there to give me ideas.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
Old 02-26-2009, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Cmon anybody else got any ideas I would like to see as many ideas as possible before I plumb mine. I was thinking of maybe tucking it up behind the intercooler or along the side the intercooler
Old 02-26-2009, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Rocket Scientist

Why not leave it stock? I remember a test Panorama magazine did on 930 air inlet filters a long time ago. Stock was best! At least try for that right rear corner. It's on the opposite side of the turbo and wastegate, so it is a little cooler over there, assuming you have the stock turbo and wastegate.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Cant be stock wrong motor

thiking of tucking it in there next to the intake runner next to the intercooler that will be to the right.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith660 View Post
Since the EFI doesn't use any MAF and the throttle body is on the intake does anybody have any good pics of where to route the air cleaner.
Not sure your question is clear.

The throtle body (s) are/is between the intercooler and the intake ports.

EFI typically uses a MAF or AFM to sense air flow. It is possable to use a MAP system instead. On a factory turbo car the air sensing is before the turbo compressor. With some conversions the AFM is left in its stock location just in front of the TB and the intercooler blows through it.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

I am just looking for ways to
1. route the air cleaner from the turbo inlet to someplace with clear/cool airflow
2. It has to look good
Old 02-27-2009, 02:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Any pics of your custom air intake (non CIS) for your turbo project any at all?
Old 03-01-2009, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Doug Siegel

If you don't mind getting rid of the heater hose on the driver's side, you can plumb a 4" hose up into the engine compartment.
88' blk/blk 930: Haltech EFI, Twin Plug, Pauter Rods, Nascar Bearings, custom crank work, dowel pinned case, ported manifold and heads, Kokeln I/C, SC Cams, Turbonetics ball bearing 62-1, BB headers, RARLYL8 Zork, additional 993 oil filter, plx/inyourface gage, RS style coilover, Fikse FM10-17 wheels, TIAL 46mm 1 bar. (where the heck did all my money go?)
Old 03-01-2009, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
can't get cleaner air than this!!

Old 03-01-2009, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadman View Post
Thats cool, but wouldn't fit.
As for the heater hose I am looking forward to having heat never had heat before but I am thinking of going straight up and then jogging over and putting it between the plumbing to the throttle body from the intercooler. We will see what you think when I get that far. I was thinking of an oval filter

Last edited by gsmith660; 03-02-2009 at 06:11 AM..
Old 03-02-2009, 02:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: