Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
erratic tach

need some help on my tach in my 87 930. worked fine yesterday, yet when i started this am (it was a freezing cold 45 in sunny so. fla) the tach was dead which has happened before only to work fine within a min. or two yet today it was all over the map. icecked voltage at the battery which was 13.6 . i tapped the tach with fingers and it moved. could this be a loose ground behind tach? i checked other ground spots ...thanks guys
Old 03-03-2009, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Does sound like a loose ground. Other's have had similar problems and it seems that usually the alternator is the issue with low output. But your battery voltage doesn't seem to support that as the probable cause. Check grounds regardless.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
thanks mark i'll try all grounds
Old 03-03-2009, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Infidel

It's a dodgy diode in the alternator i'm told, can't be replaced either so you'll need a new alternator. That's if it isn't a bad ground of course
87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 540 BMW, XB12S Modified, for being a total hooligan
Old 03-03-2009, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

funky tach

I have had a similar issue with the tach on my 1987 930. Every so often, maybe once a month, the tach will read 5,000 and fluctuate when the engine is at idle. it has behaved in this fashion since I owned the car, about 18 months. I will shut down the engine and restart, generally will correct. The charging system appears ok, never an issue with low battery, possible a weak ground or other internal electrical gremlin.
John G
Old 03-03-2009, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Alternator, and you could rebuild it for around $100.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

when it happened to me it was my alternator.. best test... cut on the radio and the headlamps and see if it is able to run for very long.. if its the alternator.. it died in just a few min..
Old 03-03-2009, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
ok well after i got home from work ( the temp. outside had risen to 65) i started the car and everything was now ok. did a psuedo load test with everyyhing on and still had 13.6 volts. thanks for the feedback guys. i just find it strange that its happened only once before also on a cooler day. glad this particular 930 is in so. fla!!! thanks again
Old 03-03-2009, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

While you are checking grounds, check the pos connection at the starter. The alternator wire runs through there to the battery. Found out the hard way my alternator wasn't bad after I replaced it and still had problems...
Old 03-03-2009, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Those cold days generate extra strain on the electrical system. It might go away while warmer; but then next winter... Be sure all is OK. M2c.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: