Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Exclamation i'm ready for my thrashing

No Porsches' were damaged in this project. no modifications were made to the vehicle in this engine swap, thus the factory engine can be installed with NO changes made. on that note, go ahead, thrash me
A few months ago...

A couple of weeks ago...

Now...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3EwBAJKMvI

Last edited by bugkodee; 03-16-2009 at 05:10 PM..
Old 03-16-2009, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Glad you took my advice in coming over here. Tell us more about the engine.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 03-16-2009, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

engine is a vw T1 2.1L. of the comments recieved, alot tried to say that this would be a large waste of time and money, however they fail to realize that we're not amateurs, and we did not use cheap or stock components. aluminum case, forged I beam rods, forged pistons, CNC heads, full weight flywheel, in house turbo system using a turbonetics T04E turbo and evolution wastegate. currently running a drawthrough system with a weber 44 DCOE carb. over the weekend we started working on quieting the the down (or atleast mellowing the tone a bit) and are mounting a flowmaster race series under it, which isn't easy considering the lack of space. if you would like more details, just let me know. also, any advice is great, unless you try to say that i'm an idiot and need to step away from the vehicle...lol. again, thanks for the invite, i look forward to getting to know the community.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

What kind of numbers are you expecting?

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 03-16-2009, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugkodee View Post
engine is a vw T1 2.1L. of the comments recieved, alot tried to say that this would be a large waste of time and money, however they fail to realize that we're not amateurs, and we did not use cheap or stock components. aluminum case, forged I beam rods, forged pistons, CNC heads, full weight flywheel, in house turbo system using a turbonetics T04E turbo and evolution wastegate. currently running a drawthrough system with a weber 44 DCOE carb. over the weekend we started working on quieting the the down (or atleast mellowing the tone a bit) and are mounting a flowmaster race series under it, which isn't easy considering the lack of space. if you would like more details, just let me know. also, any advice is great, unless you try to say that i'm an idiot and need to step away from the vehicle...lol. again, thanks for the invite, i look forward to getting to know the community.
Hey you will get a certain amount of that negativity but many of us here like to see new projects involving porsches. A VW engine should not make anybody upset I would think, it ain't a 'general motor' after all. I think that there are enough of us here that reject the wine and cheese crowd attitudes and just are enthusiastic about porsches and cars in general.

What was the point of using the VW engine, better fuel economy?
Old 03-16-2009, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDD View Post
Hey you will get a certain amount of that negativity
I hope not. I saw his post over on Samba and told him to come over here where he won't run into a-holes.

--clutch-monkey
Old 03-16-2009, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by equality72521 View Post
I hope not. I saw his post over on Samba and told him to come over here where he won't run into a-holes.
Well it won't be from me!

And again it ain't a chevy engine.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Quote:
Did you warn him to stay out of OT ?? He'll run into a-holes but we're loveable a-holes..
But anyone with that much talent will be treated like royalty!! That thing looks great!!!
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 03-16-2009, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9dreizig View Post
Did you warn him to stay out of OT ?? He'll run into a-holes but we're loveable a-holes..
But anyone with that much talent will be treated like royalty!! That thing looks great!!!
LOL, no I forgot to mention OT!! I meant a-holes in the best way of course. Seriously, I told to come over to the Pelican turbo forum because we generally don't flame people. We, as DYI guys appreciate good work even if it isn't our cup of tea.

--clutch-monkey
Old 03-16-2009, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDD View Post
Well it won't be from me!

And again it ain't a chevy engine.
I hope I didn't come off as calling you an a-hole. That is NOT what I meant. I meant in general.

--clutch-monkey
Old 03-16-2009, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I hope I didn't come off as calling you an a-hole. That is NOT what I meant. I meant in general.
Not at all! lol.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

thanks for the warm welcome. the car is a 76 912E, which came with the same engine as a 914. because of this, dimensions are similar to that of the vw T1, only parts are easier to come by, and there is alot more performance stuff available. we've been able to make a few test runs to see how things work, and it's a bit different. in 1st gear, it won't make more than 5 psi, period. however, in the other gears, once it reaches about 4500 rpm, the boost needle jumps to about 17 psi, and you better hold on. the gentleman that aided us with what rods, cam, tubing sizes, etc; said on 10 psi it should make around 250 hp. that being said, i would say it was pushing out over 300 at 17 psi. fortunately, the 912E weighs in at around 2100 lbs, about half a ton lighter than the 930 i believe, that put out similar power figures. once we get things worked out, i'll keep everyone posted on how it does.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugkodee View Post
about half a ton lighter than the 930.

ARE you calling our 930s FAT ?? On you're third post !!!!!
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 03-16-2009, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Wayah Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9dreizig View Post
ARE you calling our 930s FAT ?? On you're third post !!!!!

I like fat (930) butts ... I can't deny!
Old 03-16-2009, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree930 View Post
I like fat butts ... I can't deny!
Sounds like a Sir Mix-A-Lot song.

--clutch-monkey
Old 03-16-2009, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Wayah Road Warrior

Don't want any intellectual property infringement issues in here ... I edited my post above.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Quote:

I *KNEW* it... I'm surrounded by arseholes!

8-) You're in good company here bro.

Loved the sound of the 1st start up... sounds like a real meaty cam. BlappetyBlappetyBlapBlapBlappety. MmMmmmm MmmmmmmMmmm good.

Good luck getting it sorted, looking forward to some fly-by vids once yer all buttoned up...

| '07 S6 | '98 M3 vert | '01 M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 S8 | '95 S6 6gang | '88 M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 03-16-2009, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Components? Pauter, Scat, Carillo, Gene Berg, Engle, ??? I've been around the 'dub block once or twice and wanted to do this to a 912 for some time. The T4's just dont rev like the T1's. Thats why you see so many turbos. The T4 you can get huge displacement out of, but there not my thing.

I need more details (I really mean pics), you have got my creative wheels spinning.

What's up with the O'douls banner? Local bar didn't want to hang it?

Last edited by poorsche930; 03-16-2009 at 11:56 AM..
Old 03-16-2009, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Me like track days

No flames - that is cool stuff!
Old 03-16-2009, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

components are mainly CB perf.

also, there is very little changes that need made. if you want to know everything we did just send me a pm
Old 03-16-2009, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
custom , race , restored , swap , turbo