Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered Driver

Garage
Spark Plug Thread - Help!

I decided to install new spark plugs on the weekend as I have installed and MSD ignition and I wanted to try a different heat range anyway.

Anyhoo I cannot for the life of me get #4 to screw in more than a few turns. I have tried everything and don't want to force it as I have heard of stripped threads when forcing the spark plugs.

Anyone have any tips or tricks to get the damn things in properly?

Last edited by Helmsy; 10-20-2009 at 04:43 PM..
Old 10-20-2009, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Sounds like it might be cross threaded even though you only got it in there a few turns. Do you have a spark plug chaser?

The other thought is that it's just not lined up right. Sometimes I have a b*tch of a time getting a spark plug in. Are you using the factory spark plug tool?
Old 10-20-2009, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Silly but obvious question: Did the aluminum crush washer perhaps slip down cross-wise on the plug threads, keeping you from screwing it in all the way? The plugs are indeed a $itch to install sometimes. You gotta angle them about 10 degrees toward the front of the car (or is it the rear..,..I think it's the front....hell, can't remember....too old I guess).
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

make sure the thread on the plug isnt rolled or dinged that will cause the same problem.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 10-20-2009, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

thread chaser

i had the same problem on my 930 but was afraid to use a standard thread chaser. instead i bought one that chases the threads from the bottom of the threaded hole to the top. a couple of very careful attempts and all was well. the tool inserts into the opening and then has an expandable feature ro engage the presumably better threads at the bottom. i think that i paid 60 to 70 dollars for the tool and i hope that this is a one time use!
Old 10-21-2009, 04:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Just a tip from an old air-cooled fanatic, first VW then Porsche.

After you fix that thread find a straight section of rubber hose that will snuggly fit the ceramic section of the plug then always screw your plugs in with this. You can better adjust for the correct angle and feel the plug running down in the threads. If you have it wrong the snug fit will not allow you to exert enough force to x-thread the plug. Follow-up with your socket wrench, only crushing the washer.

I never use a torque wrench on plugs.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Registered Driver

Garage
Thanks heaps guys.

I believe that it must be cross threaded because I have tried it a million times to get it to go in but it just wont.

What chaser do you guys recommend? What size is the plug? I like the idea of one that goes from the inside out and not leaving any metal in the cylinders.

Thanks copbait for the tip about the rubber hose. Whatever makes it easier to get those damn plugs in.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

internal thread chaser

i bought one as shown on the web page of total performance parts in gilmore nebraska. it is listed for $51.99. i bought mine at a local tool supply store.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin7310948 View Post
i bought one as shown on the web page of total performance parts in gilmore nebraska. it is listed for $51.99. i bought mine at a local tool supply store.
What size is the plug? 14mm?

Also those tools look too long. Can you still get them in the right place to chase the thread?

Last edited by Helmsy; 10-21-2009 at 08:08 PM..
Old 10-21-2009, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

chaser!

i was able to solve my problem spark plug hole with one of these tools. mine is the longer one. you will need the length to reach down into the spark plug recess. i also raised the piston in the cylinder to keep the tool from dropping into the cylinder too far. just be very slow in the approach and make certain that you have engaged the tool into as many of the bottom threads as possible. i started with a loose fit and slowly expanded the tool to ensure positive thread engagement. just make certain that you are correctly engaged with the tool. if the engine is out this is not such a problem, but if the engine is in place it can be very tricky. i am not sure of the size plug but know someone will add to this that knows.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Ben:

I'm following this read. Really there is nothing wrong with you taking your car to a shop that knows Porsches and have them fix this. I recommend it.

Sometimes we let this macho Porsche manliness thing override common sense.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: