Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered Driver

Garage
CDI Electrical Question. Please Help!

Tried to start the ol girl today and it wouldn't fire.

Fuel is good as well as the spark from the coil.

After hours of troubleshooting I found the Red wire/ white stripe to the CDI (I have an msd) has no switched power anymore.

From wiring diagrams it looks like it comes from the alternator and isn't fused??? Is this correct?

Could the alternator be junk or could I just tap into a different switched source for the msd and do without the red/white wire??
Old 11-17-2009, 02:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered Driver

Garage
Does anyone know where the CDI gets its switched power from?
Old 11-17-2009, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

I don't know your setup, but I get my switched power from the front of the car - nothing in the engine compartment. Also, make sure it gets 12v during cranking too. Some switched power sources drop in voltage while the starter engages then goes back to 12v. That'll make you chase your tail for a while.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

You have an MSD correct? It should have a two red wires. One thick and one thin. The thin is switched power. Can you not follow where it leads to?
Old 11-17-2009, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered Driver

Garage
Not sure if all are wired the same but here goes.

The red wire (mine has a white stripe) which used to go to the original CDI (in the 6 pin plug) is switched power. I used this for the switched power for my MSD through the 3 fuse panel.

I found that the wire which provided power to the CDI comes from the front of the car via fuses but also via the delay relay in the rear. I removed the realy and jumpered the terminals and bammo the switched red/white wire works again.

Guess I'll need to buy another delay relay.

Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited by Helmsy; 11-17-2009 at 07:05 PM..
Old 11-17-2009, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: