Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

How important is the IC to hood seal?

Just going over details on my new to me 91 965 and found that the intercooler is about an 1/2" below the rubber seal on the right side. Looks like someone was adjusting for rattles maybe and even cut the right side mounting plate off shorter. It still rattles when cold but should I spend time making this fit better? Thanks
69 Vette Race Car since 1971
07 Z06 DD
Old 11-26-2009, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The laws of physics say that the air flow will take the path of least resistance, so some of the air will go through that gap as opposed to going through the IC. The real question, lacking any imperical data, is if it makes a substantial difference in air charge temperature.

Perhaps there are some forum lurkers who have some persoal experiences to share, but I would say fix it if you can. or just ignore it and don't be running your car real hard when the outside temperature is scorching hot (as it can get in Texas). Which - by the way - is probably a good rule of thumb anyway with or without a good seal.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
In my opinion, I'd say leave it open. I'd rather have cool air for the engine (air fan) rather than cool air for the intercooler. Who is going to be on full boost all the time?
Old 11-26-2009, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I noticed a +10* difference In oil temps with my shroud on. soon as u took it off, temps went down.

Having said that, you are defeating the purpose of the intercooler by not getting all the air through it you can. Hot air can create a climate for detonation.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
I noticed a +10* difference In oil temps with my shroud on. soon as u took it off, temps went down.

Having said that, you are defeating the purpose of the intercooler by not getting all the air through it you can. Hot air can create a climate for detonation.
By shroud, you mean covering the entire engine bay right? You are not talking about just the rubber seal around the IC. Just want to make sure...
Old 11-26-2009, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Yes, what I had was a shroud that covered all but the intercooler (there was a small gap between it and the I/C).

Quote:
By shroud, you mean covering the entire engine bay right? You are not talking about just the rubber seal around the IC. Just want to make sure...
Old 11-26-2009, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I am asking about the rubber seal to the IC. Yes, it gets hot here but the car is not a DD so it will not suffer the high temps much. Never the less I plan on installing a second oil cooler before next Summer. Looks like I need to buy one part and work on getting the back right corner of the IC up to the seal. Thanks
07 Z06 DD
Old 11-26-2009, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Cool, dense air makes more power than hot air.
Anyone who has done back-to-back dyno pulls can attest to the fact that pull no. 2 will register a lower hp number than pull no.1 due to intercoorler heat soak.
If you want your car to be all that it can be, make sure that the seal is sealing.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 11-26-2009, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
If air is allowed to go around the intercooler the intercooler becomes a heat sink. I tried this with my aftermarket intercooler and the difference was huge in terms of eliminating heat soak.
Fix it.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Steven - A bit off topic, but take a look at your ac lines. There is a bolt from the tail that rubs the aluminum line and will make a hole in it. Just tie wrap some fuel hose around it for protection.
14 535i M Sport
Old 11-27-2009, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPOZZZ View Post
Steven - A bit off topic, but take a look at your ac lines. There is a bolt from the tail that rubs the aluminum line and will make a hole in it. Just tie wrap some fuel hose around it for protection.
Thanks Bryan, I will give that a look also.
07 Z06 DD
Old 11-27-2009, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven c View Post
Thanks Bryan, I will give that a look also.
If you are looking at the engine, it is on the right side. You can see where I tie wrapped mine.

14 535i M Sport
Old 11-27-2009, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Ahhh That is why mine are tie wrapped together...must have been the factory approved method? Thanks!
07 Z06 DD
Old 11-27-2009, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
hmmm, ever since doing my EFI conversion my car has run noticably cooler. And I removed the shroud when i did the double stack intercooler mod.... i think i'll take the drop in engine temp over the possible loss of a few degrees of intake air temp, besides my methanol kit will help with air temps.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: