Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
Goofy Question about parking lights...

I've had my 930 for a little over a year now... The other day, while working on the car in the garage, I had the gauges out and one of them was resting on the blinker/hi-beam switch.

It actually pushed it down [into the turn left] position. While in that position [and the key off], I walked around the car and noticed that the left parking lights were on.

Initially, I thought there was a short [as I was rewiring one of my gauges at the time]. So, I put the wiring back as it was originally. But, the lights remained on.

Q: Is this a feature of the porsche? I seem to remember this feature on old MB's.

Or, do I have a short/bad ground???

Thanks
Old 11-29-2009, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Normal
https://flic.kr/p/nVgoAC
Old 11-29-2009, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
I think the design is for parking on narrow, dark streets. You park the car with those lights on on one side, so nobody sideswipes you. Also had that feature on a MB I had in HS.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

It seems that my '87 has a three position headlight switch. 1st position turns on the left marker lights, 2nd position both markers, and third position the headlights. I've never tried the left blinker lever with the ignition off.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I had a '72 BMW 2002 that would also leave the parking lights on on one side of the car if the turn signal lever was left to one side.

I've heard in europe you would leave the side on that was closest to the curb while parked for a short time at night like running into a store to get more beer.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah930 View Post
I think the design is for parking on narrow, dark streets. You park the car with those lights on on one side, so nobody sideswipes you. Also had that feature on a MB I had in HS.
Yep, the fog is really thick in Europe so its a nice feature.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
Ok, thanks for all the responses... The explanation makes sense...
Old 11-29-2009, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: