Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Traveling Parts / Tools

Because our cars are getting up in age, when you take your turbos for weekend trips or extended drives, are there any specific tools or spare components that would be beneficial to have along on the trip.

One that seems to be good to have along is the yellow fuel relay. Anything else that you guys take a long?

Karsten
Old 12-02-2009, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

AAA card or something similiar
American express and Mastercard/VISA
Cell phone and maybe a few games on it...for waiting for tow truck

Fan belt...
basic set of tools that come with car...if not find and replace
relays, fuses (can always use another black relay for fuel pump if needed and fuses in a pinch)

bentley repair manual for reading while waiting for tow truck

1979 930 - Black on Black and in the woods

"My third child that will cost more in the long run" :shock:
Old 12-02-2009, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I carry the usual toolkit stuff and a 50 foot 3/8" nylon rope coiled up and stuffed under the collapsable spare tire in place of the useless rubberized foam spacer thing that origonally comes under there.

Jumper cables could be needed on a trip, and a regular 24mm box end wrench along with the factory tool for holding the alternator shaft from turning loosens the alternator nut alot better than the factory tool if you need to change/replace a fan belt.

I have needed and used the rope..
. . .thanks again for the tow with your truck the day my old silver bosch ignition coil said seee ya, Frank.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

I usually take shadetree930 and juicrsr with me. they always carry tools. lol

All these guys do is drive too fast, work on cars, chase ******* and drink.. really no fun at all...
Old 12-02-2009, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Boost Abuser

Sounds simple bit a few zip ties of various length's and a few hose clamps can come in handy. Also 13,14,15 mm shorty wrenches. 8,10,13 mm socket and driver with two size's of extensions. What are the most common tool's you use on your car in a regular order? keep a variation of those tools. I use a small bag with these tools along with some pliers and fuses. not very big and doesn't add much weight.Oh yeah 4mm allen for adjusting mixtures.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The mixture allen screw is 3mm and if your alternator has alot of miles on it and the trip is long, bringing a spare is not a bad idea.

If you have a brazilian made silver bosch coil on there you are only renting it for a little while so definately bring a spare coil and tools to get the intercooler off to change it or put male spade terminals and some longer primary wires on both coils so you and swap them quickly without removing the intercooler.

The old black german made bosch colis were reliable but the new brazilian silver ones are short lived junk.
...and an MSD high vibration blaster coil is lightyears better and cost about half the price.

I looove hot, friendly, down to earth brazilian chicks though
Old 12-03-2009, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Boost Abuser

Sorry 3mm, the 4mm must be for the warm control mix on the Wur !!!
Old 12-05-2009, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: