Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Tinkering Pays!!
 
mooney265's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 1,365
Garage
Exclamation DWUR Install Pictures, Please...

I just got my DWUR today. I've searched the entire DWUR thread and haven't seen any good pics of installs...

If you've installed a DWUR and possess a DCAM [Digital Camera], please take some time and post your install pics and "what you learned" that could make the next guy's install easier and more precise!

Needs to know:
1. Where did you mount the controller?
2. Where did you pick up the rpm wire?
3. Are you using the O2 [green] wire?
4. Where did you pick up your ground?
5. Where did you connect the vacuum connection tube?

Thanks in advance!! Shannon
__________________
LIVN80S - - Red '79 Porsche 930 Steel Slant Nose Conversion [in 1987] w. 46k miles 3.3L; 964 Cams; K27HF @ 1.0 BAR, with Garrettson Intercooler; Rarly Zork; CIS Flowtech Fuel Head & BL-WUR.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!
 
mooney265's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 1,365
Garage
Install Pics?
__________________
LIVN80S - - Red '79 Porsche 930 Steel Slant Nose Conversion [in 1987] w. 46k miles 3.3L; 964 Cams; K27HF @ 1.0 BAR, with Garrettson Intercooler; Rarly Zork; CIS Flowtech Fuel Head & BL-WUR.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
tj930's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: England
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney265 View Post
1. Where did you mount the controller?
2. Where did you pick up the rpm wire?
3. Are you using the O2 [green] wire?
4. Where did you pick up your ground?
5. Where did you connect the vacuum connection tube?
Shannon,

I wasn't ignoring this post; I just can't help you now because I'm not with my car - 200 miles away from it - so written words will have to do...
1. Having removed the I/C and Airbox, I tie-wrapped the control unit to front, right-hand-side of the engine compartment. (Haven't drilled/screwed the unit down securing; may do this at some point in the future.)
2. The white RPM wire went to the white-wired side of the coil on my car.
3. Nope. (My Euro '79 doesn't have an O2 sensor.)
4. Between one of the many nuts, bolts/studs and washers on the top of the engine manifold.
5. I followed the vacuum tubing from the distributor's "copper satellite dish" bit (sorry, no idea what the proper name for this is), around to a junction near the throttle body, and then onto the original WUR. This is the pipe to which I connected. (The other WUR pipe goes to the Airbox - I just blocked this pipe off.)

But if you absolutely NEED pictures, I should email some of the other contributors (noob, 911st, StuP, 9driezeg, etc.).
Old 12-07-2009, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: scotland
Posts: 248
I worked with unwired tools for a year or so when the units got first released however for various reasons i now use my own built set up which is far more simple,reliable and easier to set up and results in as good as AFR curve as seen on cis turbos.

Apart from my posts from months and months ago and all these unwired tools units installed, i have yet to see a fuel curve posted???

Anyway as mentioned i do not now run this system but thought i would post a link to show you some pics a posted of install before i finally decided in not using their set up

Digital WUR
__________________
SP Autobahn www.spautobahn.co.uk
Porsche inspector for Peter Morgan UK
http://www.porscheinspections.com/
"92" 964 turbo,Modified and recently rebuilt using all ARP hardware..
Purpose built fuel controller set up to acheive perfect fuel curve on CIS inj.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!
 
mooney265's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 1,365
Garage
tj930:

good idea on emailing the members directly [that have already purchased the system].

and, thanks for the verbal pictures! I'm just trying to weigh out all options b4 installing... i'm not in a rush, as the car is running pretty good right now...

thanks again....
__________________
LIVN80S - - Red '79 Porsche 930 Steel Slant Nose Conversion [in 1987] w. 46k miles 3.3L; 964 Cams; K27HF @ 1.0 BAR, with Garrettson Intercooler; Rarly Zork; CIS Flowtech Fuel Head & BL-WUR.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
tj930's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: England
Posts: 301
I learnt a fair bit from trial and error - maybe I'll PM you about some key things but really isn't THAT difficult. (If I can do it in 30min's->1 hour, can't be, can it?! )

But the crucial thing is that you should start your car WITHOUT your Laptop plugged into the UTCIS unit's USB; when plugged into your computer, the unit draws power from your PC (instead of the car battery), so doesn't have enough juice to power the Temperature Sensor - which will assume a value of 0 Celcius (and more than likely screw up your Warm-Up Regulation).

The Warm-Up regulation works by mapping the temperature to a time. (Obviously, the cooler the engine, the longer the warm-up time.) I believe the Temperature 'snapshot' is taken the moment you start the car.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
 
Registered User
 
tj930's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: England
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by stup View Post
I worked with unwired tools for a year or so when the units got first released however for various reasons i now use my own built set up which is far more simple,reliable and easier to set up and results in as good as AFR curve as seen on cis turbos.

Apart from my posts from months and months ago and all these unwired tools units installed, i have yet to see a fuel curve posted???

Anyway as mentioned i do not now run this system but thought i would post a link to show you some pics a posted of install before i finally decided in not using their set up

Digital WUR
Yeah, Irish "Dave the Pilot" mentioned that you were adding your own system to his car - how is BearCat's 930 coming along?
Old 12-09-2009, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: scotland
Posts: 248
Daves car was finshed a few weeks ago thanks and was totally transformed once i had finished all the work!..AFR,s finished up great and car made really good power also!..Tuning wise when i received it was a bit of a mess although now his stunning car performs as good as it looks!

Good to see another UK member active on this forum,,we are a scarce bunch;-)

Sorry to hijack thread.
__________________
SP Autobahn www.spautobahn.co.uk
Porsche inspector for Peter Morgan UK
http://www.porscheinspections.com/
"92" 964 turbo,Modified and recently rebuilt using all ARP hardware..
Purpose built fuel controller set up to acheive perfect fuel curve on CIS inj.

Last edited by stup; 12-09-2009 at 10:31 AM..
Old 12-09-2009, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
tj930's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: England
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by stup View Post
Good to see another UK member active on this forum,,we are a scarce bunch;-)
Sorry to hijack thread.
Heheh.. "Englishman, Irishman, and a Scotsman walk into a Porsche Forum" - sounds like we're in the middle of a joke - just need a punchline, don't we?.. Ahem, how about "9M's Dyno"?

Anyway, glad Dave's car is now "cruising at 20,000ft"
Old 12-09-2009, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!
 
mooney265's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 1,365
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj930 View Post
I learnt a fair bit from trial and error - maybe I'll PM you about some key things but really isn't THAT difficult. (If I can do it in 30min's->1 hour, can't be, can it?! )

But the crucial thing is that you should start your car WITHOUT your Laptop plugged into the UTCIS unit's USB; when plugged into your computer, the unit draws power from your PC (instead of the car battery), so doesn't have enough juice to power the Temperature Sensor - which will assume a value of 0 Celcius (and more than likely screw up your Warm-Up Regulation).

The Warm-Up regulation works by mapping the temperature to a time. (Obviously, the cooler the engine, the longer the warm-up time.) I believe the Temperature 'snapshot' is taken the moment you start the car.
thanks for that advice... will do...
__________________
LIVN80S - - Red '79 Porsche 930 Steel Slant Nose Conversion [in 1987] w. 46k miles 3.3L; 964 Cams; K27HF @ 1.0 BAR, with Garrettson Intercooler; Rarly Zork; CIS Flowtech Fuel Head & BL-WUR.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!
 
mooney265's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 1,365
Garage
OK, so I successfully installed the DWUR today... Car is running fine...

I'll post some pics later tonight.
__________________
LIVN80S - - Red '79 Porsche 930 Steel Slant Nose Conversion [in 1987] w. 46k miles 3.3L; 964 Cams; K27HF @ 1.0 BAR, with Garrettson Intercooler; Rarly Zork; CIS Flowtech Fuel Head & BL-WUR.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
930lad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj930 View Post
Heheh.. "Englishman, Irishman, and a Scotsman walk into a Porsche Forum" - sounds like we're in the middle of a joke - just need a punchline, don't we?.. Ahem, how about "9M's Dyno"?

Anyway, glad Dave's car is now "cruising at 20,000ft"
tj930.....i'm up and running now and thanks to stup my 930 is sorted .....blisteringly fast but safe and this was what I needed, I knew she was lean at the high end post other work and pure pig rich mid range....with a leask rebuilt wur and few more of stup's set up wizardry, afr's are safe......aka 930lad, aka Bearcat aka Dave or David, whatever!!!

I just felt in my bones that she needed the final fettling and the car is transformed to useable......d
Old 12-21-2009, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:42 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.