Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question instrument lights problem

My dash instrument lights have been out for a while. It happen after I took it to a shop to replace the aftermarket CD changer cable. I will like to know if somebody had experienced the same problem and where I should start looKing (dimmer switch, main lights switch or a specific relays. My dome lights are not working either but I am not sure if this is related. I have check the fuses and they are OK.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

There's no common relationship between an aftermarket CD changer cable and the interior lights that don't work now, and no common relationship or brain power between installers...

Take your car to a stereo shop with some teenagers that know NOTHING about your car and having them mess with wiring and this the kind of stuff that happens.

Only thing I can suggest is trace the wiring and see what the heck he did and also check the ground points.
Most if not all German cars use brown wire for the ground wires.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
There's no common relationship between an aftermarket CD changer cable and the interior lights that don't work now, and no common relationship or brain power between installers...

Take your car to a stereo shop with some teenagers that know NOTHING about your car and having them mess with wiring and this the kind of stuff that happens.

Only thing I can suggest is trace the wiring and see what the heck he did and also check the ground points.
Most if not all German cars use brown wire for the ground wires.
Believe me I know that the hard way, that why I am try to do all the work I can myself. If I screw up, I will be the only one to blame.
What I will like to know is others experiences solving a similar problem.
Where and what I should start looking (dimmer, specific relays, grounds, cables) and what kind of test should I run.
I am fairly new to this forum and I use it when I have time. I do believe that this is a valuable tool for our Porsche community. Any help is always appreciated.
Regards........Rey.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Found the problem a few weeks ago. The cigarette lighter light circuit was shorted. Apparently, as this circuit does not seem to be fused, the luminous relay was preventing all instrument lights from illuminating due to the short. Just wanted to share it in case somebody has the same problem.....R
Old 02-14-2010, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: