Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
intro and a few questions

Hi all,
I've been reading here for quite a while, but just registered the other day. This past summer I bought my first P-car, an 87 carmine red 930 from Autosport Design on LI. The car appears to have been well taken care of, only 50k miles and nice high quality upgrades.

It's got B&B headers w/ heat exchangers B&B exhaust, a B6 long neck intercooler, 1bar WG spring, lots of aluminum interior goodies, 17" Fikse wheels (tires are too small in my opinion (245/45/17 and 225/50/17 - tires are quite stretched). I'm looking to go to 315/35/17 and 245/45/17 in the Spring.

About 1 week after I bought it I noticed large amounts of blue smoke after boost on decel, searching indicated either turbo seal or valve seals. I called Kevin at UMW and he set me up with one of his K27 7200 turbos to replace what turned out to be my ailing 3LDZ (1/8" of shaft play). The new turbo totally transformed the car, I love how low the boost comes in now.

I've got a few projects planned for the Spring/Summer, the new tires I mentioned, a new CD deck and replacement speakers, possibly removing the boxed rockers, but the most important is I need to get it through emissions. My reg expires in 2011 and the car won't be exempt until 2012. I'm failing on CO, as you might guess. I'm thinking about welding a flange to an old 3" cat I have, along with a tailpipe to replace the muffler so I can get it through. CT doesn't do the idle test (which I would pass). Any thoughts on this idea? are flanges available, or will I need to make one?

Here are a couple pics (I haven't taken any new ones, and the car is sitting in storage now

sellers picture:

engine bay:

old turbo:
Old 01-07-2010, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Good luck with it. I have seen that car in person a great looker. If you need any info on the work done to it by the prior owner I believe Cheech at Rennwork in Elmsford N.Y. did it.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Yup, I've been in contact with Cheech. He had nothing but good things to say about the car and the previous owner. The car will be back at Rennwerk as service dictates.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: