Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

That may not be true. Most of the cooling happens quite quickly as air flows through the IC.

With a wider IC the air will usally move more slowly and has more time to cool.

I suspect is it a push unless one exaggerates the dimensions.

What seems to be better is a thinner IC.

Air flow through the IC is an important varable to thus ducting can make an improvement.

Check out Porsche's IC's. None run more than about 10-12 inches.

JMO
Old 07-13-2010, 10:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)
R.I.P.

I've always heard long core for extended boosted applications and short core for quick bursts of power.

But i'll bet on average with all the compromises that go along with a street driven vehicle you would be hard pressed to determine one style superior to the other in all conditions. I chose this set-up based on a few conditions.

1) thin wide core for maximum surface area
2) has to look cool
3) fitment
Old 07-14-2010, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #102 (permalink)

Most of the heat transfer takes place along the first 10"-12" of the intercooler core, so for a given package area, it is usually ideal (for performance/efficiency) to configure the intercooler to pass the charge through the short side. However if packaging is an issue, longer cores can be the ideal choice (ie- front mounts).
Old 07-14-2010, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)

It also seems in the case of a 930, that the most direct air flow is from the rear area of the grille in the engine cover to the engine fan. If that's really the case, then the intercooler core should be in the that area to optimize cooling. That would favor a side-to-side IC where you could place the core as tight as possible to the rear of the engine cover grille, rather than having the tank in that area.

One thing I found interesting, in one of Juan's pics of Bello's car, he actually built a large duct sealed to the bottom of the IC and the engine cooling fan, for better flow.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #104 (permalink)
R.I.P.

yes, Eddie's car has a shroud that makes all the air that flows into the engine compartment via the wing go thru the intercooler core first. I'm sure it works and since he puts more miles on his car than most of us there must not be any cooling issues for the motor. I would like to make a cover that fits the "grill" opening in the wing thats just cut out around the intercooler core to see if it helps with air inlet temps and or has any negative effects on engine cooling
Old 07-15-2010, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #105 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: