Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

First oil change need some help?

Hi i just changed the oil in my 87 930, I have a question what does coking of the oil look like when you drain it?
Also around the drain plug there is a Grey matter not sure what it is, i am going to use 15 50 mobile 1 is that good?
How can i get all the oil out, i also drain the catch can as well.
Just i want to get all the oil oil out.
One more i could not get a mahle filter so i went to the Porsche dealer and bought one there its a bit smaller will it be okay?

Thanks again as i am a newbie with 930s
Old 06-02-2010, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I think most guys just drain the oil sump (bottom middle of engine) and the oil tank which is passenger side where the dip stick go's in. To get all the oil out you will have to break open the oil lines maybe at the thermostat which is never fun. Someone else may have a better idea. The grey smutch you see on the drain plug is caused by condensation and is normal if it has been sitting or run a few times without really warming up. Your choice of oil sounds ok everyone has a preference. I use Castrol 20w50 where I am. A lot of guy's seem to like this Brad Penn product. Hope this helps.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

My bad I just remembered I don't think a 1987 has a oil sump drain plug but I may be wrong.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
There are two areas for oil drainage. One is the sump/crankcase. Open that up and 3-4 quarts will come out.

Then there's the oil tank behind the right rear wheel. Open that up and 7 or 8 quarts will come splashing out.

I don't worry about the residual oil left in all the hoses and oil coolers. That's more trouble than it's worth. If you're really that anal, you can put in some sacrificial cheapo oil, run it for a few minutes, then drain that and toss it all out. It'll help dilute out the residual stuff you mention.

I'm not a fan of the new Mobil 1 stuff, though the V-twin stuff at around $9-10 per quart is OK. Do a search under "ultimate oil thread" in the 911 technical section for more oil info than you can shake a stick at. Actually I highly recommend you read that thread.

In the future, you can buy the Mahle OC-54 filter from our host for about $9.

The grey "mayonnaise" you see on the drain plug is from condensation from not allowing the motor to fully warm up while driving it. Too many short trips. Take it on longer trips where the motor fully warms up and that'll disappear.

Last edited by Noah930; 06-02-2010 at 10:46 AM..
Old 06-02-2010, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirevtuner View Post
My bad I just remembered I don't think a 1987 has a oil sump drain plug but I may be wrong.
...and to think my finger was poised just short off firing off a scathing rebuttal. Saved by the bell, you were!

I can remember the first time I changed the oil, looking all over hell for the damn crank drain plug (my old Targa had one, so WTF I said to myself).
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Nobody has answered your coking oil question, so I'll take a shot.

Coke (not to be confused with blow) is an old oil refining term, and basically it is almost straight carbon, dry in appearance. It's what will coat your turbin shaft eventually and mess up the seals....exacerbated by shutting down a hot turbo without first letting it cool down, resulting in a burned-on oil residue (coke).

The oil you drain won't show signs of coking to the naked eye. I suppose you could have it analysed, but why.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Well i made a mess of the garage floor, but its all done.
Dam the oil is hot, and its hard to pull the drain plug and not get any on you.

Thanks for all the info.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: