Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Bilstein front strut insert removal

What is the trick to remove the insert (schock)? Pull it? is it threaded in there? Do I need a special tool?
Old 06-20-2010, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Remove the roll pin at the bottom of the strut body then pull the insert out.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 06-20-2010, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

I'm assuming you have Bilstein strut bodies.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 06-20-2010, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

yes, mine are green - but the same - the pin is out... it just doesn't give any.

Just pull it straight out?
Old 06-20-2010, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Just yank it. Sometimes they are stuck, just yank it hard.

--clutch-monkey
Old 06-20-2010, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Is it still connect to the ball joint? If not, you can drive it from the bottom with a brass drift.

--clutch-monkey
Old 06-20-2010, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

It is still on the car... it appears frozen to me...

Now, if it comes right out by pulling it.. what about an "extractor" using a pipe or so in combination with the big nut on top... as you tight it down it pulls the insert out??? or what about a slide hammer against the big nut?
Old 06-20-2010, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

So the insert doesn't move in the housing at all? Or does the insert slide but the rod is what's stuck?
Old 06-20-2010, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

The insert is stuck/frozen in the housing, the shock piston/rod moves in and out no problem - little too easy = worn.
And now, I'm already thinking when it's time to go back in with the new inserts and align the roll pin with the housing - OMG what a PITA.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Appreciate the assist... Finally got the mother... out... to learn that there was a Koni (red) adjustable insert. Amazing that after twenty + years of owning the car I still find spots where somebody been there before. Now, should I go Koni again (which was great handling) or go back to Bilstein? Again, those Konis are "at least" 23 years old and finally started to show age... Good stuff!
Old 06-21-2010, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Does anyone know where to send Koni shocks for refurbishing/revalving, if near CLT even better?
Old 06-22-2010, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

What about BSR in Moorsville?
Old 06-22-2010, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I'll check it out. Thanks!
Old 06-23-2010, 02:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Antonett View Post
Appreciate the assist... Finally got the mother... out... to learn that there was a Koni (red) adjustable insert. Amazing that after twenty + years of owning the car I still find spots where somebody been there before. Now, should I go Koni again (which was great handling) or go back to Bilstein? Again, those Konis are "at least" 23 years old and finally started to show age... Good stuff!
Miguel, if you don't use the adjustability aspect of the Koni's that much (you never track the 930 right?), it might be cheaper to go with a set of Sport Bilsteins, which i think out of the box are perfect for your larger front 23 torsion bar. The guys at Bilstein USA are easy to work with and can confirm this, and can even custom valve your inserts too if you tell them your car weight, and what you are looking for in ride.

That being said, just curious as too what you found out at BSR?

BTW, let me know if you and Victoria are taking a 'beach break' and heading this way anytime this summer. Would love to get together.
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 06-23-2010, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

well, well, well what's up Justin...? All good from here. I was planning to take the 930 to VIR this weekend but the front end is still on the ground and now no inserts... Might still make it though, if I go with the Bilsteins.

Finally contacted Koni, 10 weeks turnaround, got with Truechoice 4 weeks turnaround; I think Bilstein is going to be - at least for a while. Have not been able to talk to a human at BSR yet.

Appreciate the offer and will do son, let you know.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Well, finally after four weeks without shocks, because I decided to rebuild the adj Konis instead of going to Bilstein... long story here..., got them back, installed them and tested the car. I went to Truchoice (Koni rep) out of Hilliard, OH. They did a great job for a reasonable price.

Now, this is the deal, regardles of what type suspension set up you have, you get use to, and thru time sloppiness begins, but you get use to, because don't feel it, you just get used to... You know what I mean... We just neglect the shocks' condition because the car "handles pretty good - anyway".

CHECK YOUR SHOCKS CONDITION.

What a difference that (new shocks) made to the car handling. The way it should be, the road feel, firm and attached to the ground... It feels like a diferent car. Anyway, check your schoks and refurbish them, if necessary, you'll be surprised!

Last edited by Miguel Antonett; 08-14-2010 at 04:35 PM..
Old 08-14-2010, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: