Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Rev Counter issue

On my 3 litre turbo, 77 model, I upgraded from K Jettronic to a Motech type system

We get a pulse from the box, but rev counter is not working

Car did stand for a few years, not sure if some dust/ mildew is in the mechanism, or if the type of pulse from the new EFI is not compatible with the signal it used to get from the coil

I understand that the pulse from the new EFI is the same as the pulse from the new spark packs, maybe frequency or form is not the same as from the older style coil?

Any suggestions?
Old 07-09-2010, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

You might be on the right track. Can't remember if the 930 has a square wave or a sine wave. You might try an aftermarket tach from Summit or Jegs.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
R.I.P.

The stock tach is horrible. I put a 5" Stewart Warner in mine. Fits in the stock hole and doesn't bounce around like a pendulum (sp?)
Old 07-09-2010, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
R.I.P.

BTW, I think i read the stock tach is square wave
Old 07-09-2010, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The ignition trigger signal going through the green coax cable from the distributor is a square wave and if the polarity is correct the ignition is supposed to fire at the end of the wave or when the squared off slope drops.

I don't know if its still a square wave in the single black/purple tach trigger wire, but seems like it would be.

You find that black/purple wire at the 6 pin plug on the bottom of the CDI and also the second spade terminal over from the passenger side on the bottom edge of the back of the tach.

If you wire in a shift light or rpm switch for a homemade shift light thats the trigger wire you use for it.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: