Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

930 Engine Drop Questions

A few questions for the braintrust here. I have an 87 930 that has 26K mi., is bone stock and in need of a clutch. The car spent some time in Fl, garaged but still exposed to salt air, lots of mild surface corrosion on the underside nuts and bolts but nothing real extreme car is very clean overall. Long story short I was just going to drop the engine but found both CV boots on the left axle need replacing so that has to come off too. I have everything drained/off/disconnected and am at the point where I am putting wrenches on the engine bolts to see if I can get them to budge. Now is the point where have questions:

The bolt on top of the starter seems like a real *****. I assume you get there with an allen socket on an 8'' extension with ratchet on the back side of the starter? I have a 6'' & 10'' extension and could not get a good bite on it with one being too short and the other too long. Once on there am I going to get enough "umph" on it or am I going to end up pulling the whole thing down without transferring any energy to the nut itself. What are the tricks here?

As far as the other standard/hex headed nuts, does a crows foot offer any advantage over a socket or end wrench?

Is there any reason I should not just drop both the engine and trans together seeing that I have to do one of the shafts anyway, then redo all the CV boots since I have them off?

I have come to the conclusion that everything is going to take about twice as long as I had planned but am in no hurry, just want to get it done correctly and safely.

Please advise, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Always drop the engine and trans together. leave the starter on also. Just jack the car up high enough so the torsion bars tubes are 24.5 inches off the ground. put them on jack stands. disconnect the wiring, gas lines, axles, oil lines, shifter linkage in the tunnel, remove the back bumper, remove the air box and intercooler. Then pull the motor mount bolts and lower it all down on the floor jack. our sponser has a jack mount thats made to fit the bottom of the engine so that it can be lowered down. I have had mine out enough times now it takes about an hour and a half.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 09-28-2010, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

As far as the wiring there are six places to disconnect. Remove the ground from the battery, remove the wires from the starter. remove the ground strap by the transmission crossmember. Disconnect the green and brown wires for the speedo drive in the tunnel while you are in there to disconnect the shifter linkage. Then in the engine compartment there are two plugs to disconnect, one at the back of the engine (towards the front of the car) behind the air metering valve, and one on the drivers side on the back corner of the car. Also the the AC compressor just unbolt it and swing it off to the side onto the fender with the hoses still connected. I usually place a couple old bath towels folded up under it to save the paint. hope this helps.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 09-28-2010, 09:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

What is the wire just under the output hub on the pass, side of the gearbox? Was just getting to the easy stuff and came across it after disconnecting the half shaft. Can't really see where or how it connects, does it need to be removed?
Old 09-29-2010, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

speedo sender wire it's connected inside the tunnel then runs through a rubber plug to the gearbox, yes disconnect it then push the rubber plug out. If i remeber correctly two wires one green the other brown.
2019 Silverado 6.2L

Last edited by Ken911; 09-29-2010 at 08:57 PM..
Old 09-29-2010, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Easier if you remove the bumper

Old 09-30-2010, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: