Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Do you see anything wrong?

Some engine pics of a 930 I'm looking at. Can you spot anything wrong or that catches your trained eye? This car has GHL headers, Powerhaus exhaust afaik.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Last pic, funky wiring (for reverse light switch?) wrapped around the e brake cable. Looks like an easy fix.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Turbo oil drip can looks like it's about to rust through. CV half-shaft boots look old, but maybe just dirty. As long as not torn, then OK.
Overall, seems like a fair amount of rust on things in general. Not necessarily excessive, but then I have none on mine so any rust catches my eye.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Looks like the mods were done a long time ago and driven a lot.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

^^^^What they said^^^

It needs a good cleaning..Then chk again. Cracked hoses/pipes...etc.

Walt
Old 10-06-2010, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I agree with the others. The mods look like they were done ages ago. GHL is out out of business as far as I know, so if you have any problems with them, you are SOL. The rest of the engine looks rusty, dirty and leaking some oil. A good PPI on the engine is needed.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDD View Post
Looks like the mods were done a long time ago and driven a lot.
Or not driven at all and left outside.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

What year model?
Old 10-06-2010, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

The rear brake lines look old, origonal, and should be replaced for safety.

Thats a dirty ignored beast and in my opinion the price should be quite low in that condition.. of course there are no pics of the rest of the car to really say. you could put on a crappy clothes and pressure clean the bottom to get a better idea.

You should show pics of the front suspension and front suspension pan and trunk with battery removed.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Thanks for all the feedback. This car just closed on ebay today:

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

I just got the underbody pics the last minute so didn't bid on it but maybe the closing price match the condition after all The body and interior looks decent enough thou...maybe just need some major clean up.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Ah yes, saw that one listed. The one with the "Kokeln turbo and intercooler"...I didn't know that Kokeln (sp) made turbos. Not a bad price, but she does look to need a little work for al lthe old and worn stuff showing.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I thought that car was rough from looking at the interior and the guy describes shifting problems and starter failures that he did not address quickly. The freaking window doesn't even work, ha!

Pass on it...
Old 10-07-2010, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

cycling has-been

hurts my eyes to see the rear jacked up on the sway bar mounts.
Bill K
Old 10-07-2010, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

The later 911 like this '87 chassis have steel pads welded to the longitudinals front and rear for jacking or lifting the car up.

They were nonexistant on the early cars and you can't see them in those pics because the lift pads are covering them up.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: