Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Which 930 is Preferred: 60K Milage no engine work VS 120K Milage with Rebuilt Engine

I know this is a very general question with a lot of variables to consider but the basic premise is will a higher milage car with engine rebuild out last a lower milage car with original head studs, etc.
May original heads get tired and possibly fail due to time and may not be problem free because of lesser milage.
Is a lower milage car with original head studs be more preferred over a higher milage car with a rebuild including stronger newer technology studs.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
I suppose that depends on who did the rebuild, how long ago, what kind of owners have the respective cars had...

Post more info about the 2 cars you're considering. If you ask an honest question, you'll get honest (more useful) answers. I don't mean to be mean-spirited in that last sentence. It's just that some people seem so cryptic about the cars they're looking at--like it's some national secret they're protecting. How can this we give you useful advice without knowing the players?
Old 07-16-2011, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I'd be inclined to the lower miles one, half the overall wear... not just the engine; keep in mind that you can always get a "new" engine with a fresher car.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Antonett View Post
I'd be inclined to the lower miles one, half the overall wear... not just the engine; keep in mind that you can always get a "new" engine with a fresher car.
+ 1 for the odds

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Slanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 07-16-2011, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hi Noah930,
To honestly answer your above question, I had no specific 930's in mind.
Like all of us, we are always looking for that next perfect 930. But, I wonder if its worth paying a premium price to buy a lower milage car with no previous rebuild work only to break a stud a few years later. This is a substantial additional cost to pay down the road. (no pun intended).
I just wondered how you all felt.
This question is to all:
From your various experiences, do the original weaker head studs fail strictly because of the amount of miles or does the age of the car factor into head stud failure even on lower milage cars in the 60,000 mile range.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
An original 60K mile car can be nicely broken in, or a total moneypit. Depends on how the previous owners treated it. I purchased my car 6 years ago with 67K miles. I think I've spent $3K on maintenance/repairs (not including tires & gas). It's got about 94K miles on it now.

A 120K mile car with a rebuild might have a fresher motor (in terms of miles), but it'll depend on when who did the rebuild, how many miles ago, and how the car was driven since then. You'll also have components that have twice the mileage on them: suspension, tranny & clutch (if they weren't rebuilt at the same time), brakes, etc. Rubber bits age just the same, I'd imagine--stuff like seals, gaskets, body trim, interior bits, etc.--so it'll depend on how well the car was cared for by their respective owners.

In the end, I'd lean towards the lower mileage car, still well knowing that these are 25-35 year-old machines regardless of miles.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Wow, Noah.
What a well explained and thought out reply. You make a lot of sense but Im scared Sh•tless to endure another rebuild and have my car held hostage with ever increasing labor hours and never ending, constant part replacement. It seems some mechanics find it easier and more profitable to change part after to diagnose a mechanical problem.
I wish I could feel comfortable again to endure another rebuild with a repair shop.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: