Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Removing bilstein strut insert

Any tricks to removing the Bilstein insert? I drove out the pin and the insert is supposed to pull right out...well it wont come out, there must be something holding it up. Any tricks??

'86 930
Old 04-22-2012, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I took mine off just like that, but if needed, once the cap is removed and the pin is out. You can take apunch and drive the strut up and out. Use a drift punch and drive it up the ball joint hole.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Merlin, I guess I have to remove the ball joint in that case. Is there a way without taking apart the ball joint?
TIA
'86 930
Old 04-22-2012, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMR-Merlin View Post
I took mine off just like that, but if needed, once the cap is removed and the pin is out. You can take apunch and drive the strut up and out. Use a drift punch and drive it up the ball joint hole.
i removed my whole strut from the car, and could not remove the insert, i had to use a punch on the ball joint end, could taps and came right out
Old 04-22-2012, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I had the same problem with one side on mine, I used a peice of black pvc plumbing pipe (I think 11/2) slide it over the insert so it rests on the strut housing, cut it so it just comes to the top of the threads on the insert and use the washer and nut to draw the insert up, it only took a couple of turns and it popped right out. No need to take anything apart.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

We ended up using a large crescent wrench below top nut and did a couple of taps with a hammer. Sort of a slide hammer if you will. it worked like a charm and I did the other strut insert in about 15" flat.
'86 930
Old 04-26-2012, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Nice!

Old 04-27-2012, 02:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: