Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
non-whiner

noob here with a question or two

I owned a 1979 911 which I loved, but sold it in 1986 in my quest for more power. Now I'm back and just scored a 38k mile 1986 930 with a Ruf conversion. In a complete moment of lust, I bought the car flew out to the owner and drove it 600 miles home. It's a real beauty and performed flawlessly other than the a/c not really working. This is a one owner stock Ruf conversion that has been taken care of with no rain or snow. If it was yours, what improvements would you make?

Old 08-20-2012, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Not enough info. What was done in the conversion, and what are your goals?
14 535i M Sport
Old 08-20-2012, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
non-whiner

Fair enough!

K27 turbo, intercooler, heads, cams, tensioners, gauges, front valance with oil cooler, exhaust and headers are the main upgrades. My goal is a solid daily driver with plenty of go!

A little more info. I've built a couple dozen cars over the years, but this will be my first Porsche. My real standout, I built the GT40 in the Fast 5 movie (built it, sold it on ebay, and they bought it). Pictures to follow if required.

So, Bryan, you seem to have a nice set up, what do you think?
Old 08-20-2012, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Pictures, pictures...
Old 08-20-2012, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
I've gone native

I would tune it to as produced Ruf turbo R condition, maybe add a few little Ruf touches here n there.....
Old 08-20-2012, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Your setup sounds very good. Any idea which K27 you have? There are many different ones as the 7006, 7200 HFS... Have you run the car hard and does it run out of steam before redline? If so, you could change the turbo. My K29 pulls hard from 3k to redline+. However, it is a dinosaur and there is much newer technology around.

Not sure where you live, but if it is a daily driver, you probably want ac. Start with upgrading that with products from Kuehl or Rennaire. Porsche 911 Air Conditioning, Porsche 930 Air ConditioningUpgrade Updates,Improvements One thing really lacking in our cars is the ac. They can be made cool, but the volume of air really needs to be upgraded. I swear, the ac on it's highest fan setting is like the lowest setting on my Lexus.

You can also add personal touches to your car such as a new steering wheel, bit I think your car may have a Ruf 3 spoke which is every similar to the 930S wheel. You can however, get a spacer to place it closer to you/farther away from the dash. You can also change seats to something more sporty, a nice stereo, wheels/tires, torsion bars... Those personal touches truly make it your car.
14 535i M Sport
Old 08-20-2012, 11:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Sounds very nice! If it is a well documented RUF, you may not want to mess with it given its value. The AC is a must for daily driving, at least in Florida where I live. Looking forward to pics!

1986 930 Ultra-Smith RUF Slant Nose conversion, RUF VB, K-27 HF-S, B&B Headers and Exhaust, RUF Short Shifter, RUF Interior
Old 08-21-2012, 04:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
I've gone native

AC, hell yes!
Old 08-21-2012, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

No pictures, no advice....
Old 08-21-2012, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMR-Merlin View Post
No pictures, no advice....
Back to post #4.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Infidel

It really depends what the set up is, if it's still on CIS then a better turbo, then tune in the fuel system with the adjustable WUR and solenoid.
I would want to keep it as Ruf did it though, as that is where the value is in the car..... if you don't care about the 'Ruf' originality then it's all down to how deep your pockets are and how much power you want......
We need pics, what headers, what gearbox etc etc.... How much Ruf work was done, if it's a fully badged up BTR type car, with all the Ruf bits then it would want to be kept as close to as it left Ruf as possible IMO.....
87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 540 BMW, XB12S Modified, for being a total hooligan
Old 08-21-2012, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Antonett View Post
Back to post #4.
I saw is sir...
Old 08-21-2012, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

non-whiner

Okay, okay, no pics it didn't happen, right?

These are from the original owner. I am travelling (too much) and won't see the car for a while.

Now, cough it up!

Actually, I wish I knew enough to be more specific. Problem is, I don't yet know what I don't know! I am a fast learner, though...
Old 08-21-2012, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

If I am not mistaken, you should have a RUF build number.

You are in the right place. I started my 930 build a couple years back and I have found this site to be a great help.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Prrrreeeetttty cool machine right there - congrats!

Hey, all you might need is a belt on ac compressor, who knows...

BTW, get to know the car before start "playing" with it.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

This is the same car right? Porsche : 911 Turbo Carrera Coupe 2-Door in Porsche | eBay Motors

Are you the seller? or the potential buyer?
Old 08-22-2012, 01:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Hmmmm.........Hasn't sold yet...........
Old 08-22-2012, 02:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

this thread kind of died.....
Old 08-22-2012, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
non-whiner

Whoa, whoa why all the hating? I bought the car last weekend from the dude in Chicago. He let the auction run not me. I'll be home next week and can post more pictures if it makes you guys happy. In the mean time, here are some shots of my Gt40 that was featured in the Fast 5 movie:

I asked them why they would repaint a perfect car and they said it was too perfect and the paint was too shiney so the crew would be reflected in the paint. They repainted it to look like this as seen in the movie:

Old 08-24-2012, 10:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

[QUOTE=mreid;6933697]Whoa, whoa why all the hating? I bought the car last weekend from the dude in Chicago. He let the auction run not me.

Well if that is the case, then Congrats are in order. Post some pics when you can.

Nice GT40... I like the orginal color a lot more.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: