Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Optimal Air Filter Placement?

Gents,

I've been staring at my engine bay for months on end now (thank goodness spring is almost here and this car can come out of storage) and I got to wondering, is my BMC air filter in an optimal spot? It looks like its tucked away back there were little fresh air is getting to it.

I was thinking of building a pipe that would relocate the filter (I'd use a new cone style) to the right of the intercooler and give it some more breathing room. What do you guys think? Worth the trouble or not?

Old 03-26-2013, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Thats the same filter I have, yes it's kind of tight but I haven't found a better after market one out there. I think the BMC has the largest air filter surface area than any other besides stock.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Just run out to the garage and throw something together yourself !!!!!

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Cole! Lmao!!
Old 03-26-2013, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

I like this style. moves the air filter closer to the intake grill in the tail, and retains the oil tank breather lines, so you don't need those silly extra breathers .
1976 930( peru red usa) ,1980 euro sc, 1974 914. 1997 M3, , 2004 Duramax 3500 quad cab dually . 2004 2500 HD Gas 1989 Yamaha xt 350. 2004 Turbo Pepperwagon, 1976 Chevrolet C 60 Rollback towtruck. 2006 x3 a few old tractors, and tons of tools
Old 03-27-2013, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Banned

Cole - is it wrong to get aroused each time one sees those engine/k-jet relocation/intercooler pics of your car?!
Old 03-27-2013, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Ronnie:

Not at all, we refer to such instances as an "old school woodie" monent.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.

Last edited by cole930; 03-28-2013 at 10:31 AM..
Old 03-27-2013, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Cole, looking inside your air intake I notice the metal bar that the stock air cleaner screws onto and holds that black metal block is removed. Is that piece not needed?
Old 03-27-2013, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

oilonly:

The bar your referring to is actually there as a blow-back stop for the metering plate and
the black piece you referred to is actually rubber. If the engine were to backfire through the
intake plumbing the metering plate could be pushed up violently and could damage or move
out of adjustment the air plate pivot arm. The rubber bumper is there to stop and/or cushion
the metering plate and pivot arm.

I considered adding something to the bottom of the divider that is installed inside the stack but
also knew the factory versions had none. My greatest concern was adding something that might
break off or come loose and blow through the turbo.

Cole

Last edited by cole930; 03-27-2013 at 06:28 PM..
Old 03-27-2013, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Banned

Ha! Yep, Cole, nothing like an "old school woodie"!
Old 03-27-2013, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole930 View Post
Just run out to the garage and throw something together yourself !!!!!

Cole
Pete, be careful. I took Cole's advice - however I got a bit carried away (slippery slope maybe?) and ran out of space for the air cleaners in the engine bay.

So I found the optimal spot. The space wasn't being used for anything practical, it is nice and cool and there is easy access for maintenance.

Richard.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

That's a kick-ass setup and very steep slippery slope. WOW!
Old 03-28-2013, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Wow what a setup Richard!
Old 03-28-2013, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

That guy's was your chance to see the very best of the best do it yourselfer !!!

Richard's build was completely done by Richard himself including all of
the fabrication and machining. This man truly has serious superior skills.

You can see Richard's build on the Tech Forum by searching his name. I will
warn you once you have seen the thread it may make you tear your car apart
and start over.

I also have to give Richard credit for giving me his engine cradle print to
make my 934 style engine cradle, it saved me countless hours of trial and error.

Look in amazement and enjoy !!!!!

Cole
Old 03-28-2013, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Well I'll be! Those are some fine examples but I'll be keeping mine a wee bit more stock looking.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole930 View Post
That guy's was your chance to see the very best of the best do it yourselfer !!!

Richard's build was completely done by Richard himself including all of
the fabrication and machining. This man truly has serious superior skills.

You can see Richard's build on the Tech Forum by searching his name. I will
warn you once you have seen the thread it may make you tear your car apart
and start over.

I also have to give Richard credit for giving me his engine cradle print to
make my 934 style engine cradle, it saved me countless hours of trial and error.

Look in amazement and enjoy !!!!!

Cole
Thanks for the compliments Cole - it means a lot coming from yourself. Your an inspiration to many of us on this forum.

Pete - good call - stay away from the edge of that slippery slope. It can be addictive. .

I have one of these on my wife's 930 Cab. I didn't build the 930, it was built by Imagine Auto (Stephan Kasper) and made ~440 rwhp on the modified CIS engine. Therefore it obviously has the capacity to flow enough air.

Pelican Parts - Product Information: PEL-INTK930
Old 03-29-2013, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by motley911 View Post
Pete, be careful. I took Cole's advice - however I got a bit carried away (slippery slope maybe?) and ran out of space for the air cleaners in the engine bay.

So I found the optimal spot. The space wasn't being used for anything practical, it is nice and cool and there is easy access for maintenance.

Richard.
Now thats some serious business. very nice.
77 911tt EFI wide body red/ Slightly modified SOLD
Old 03-29-2013, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Ah, that ain't nuthin` `bout nuthin` ... except that it's one of the coolest cars and nicest pieces of work I've seen in a long time.

By United States Marines.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: