Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by voitureltd View Post
Best to get yours ASAP or keep yours without hesitation, if possible. You only will lose ownership time. As the famous auction owner once said, " you never pay too much, you only buy too soon ". I think this quote might very well apply to 930 cars at this time.
Good observations, Tony.

Patrick: Try to keep the car if at all possible. You won't regret it.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Wow thanks everyone. Great advice and a lot to think about on all levels. This is part financial and part time and use. These cars are meant to be driven and not be a garage queen sitting under a cover. If I had a ton of money I guess it would not be an issue but I don't. realistically I have to consider time with the car and time with the kids and the cash outlay as I work towards putting the car back to stock. I do get the car out to go to the office but DC traffic can really suck and the fun factor goes away after sitting on Route 66 for an hour or two. On the plus side we do have some great roads towards WV but the time is just not there. I've owned the car for a year and half and enjoy it, driving and turning a wrench. It looks great, turns heads, runs great and everyone like the sound of the exhaust and as you all know, kicking 300hp it is a blast to drive. Only 183 of these things made for the US, I have yet to see another one of these at events or shows in the area. Most people ask if it's a turbo look so it's nice to so nope it a turbo. Do I sound torn? Yes I am.

To answer some of the questions / comments in the post. The engine case was replaced by the Porsche dealer in year one of the car to fix an oil leak. I believe the burled wood dash was a dealer install in the beginning and yes it's a personal preference thing. I've been looking for an original stock dash but only found parts of the dash so still on the look. The wheels, yes I picked those, correct wheel and date stamp but yes I liked the polished look and figured I could have them done to original if and when I get to that stage. The interior was never professionally detailed just basic cleaning. The seats are in much better shape that these pictures show. Lighting is terrible and bad reflection. The carpet on the other hand is faded, not sure what my options are to fix the carpet. Can it be cleaned and dyed? To be expected of a California convertible of this age.

Decisions decisions! It's funny to see how many have done the same thing only to buy another Porsche later but during that journey stay on the forum to help others. An amazing community of people brought together by Porsche.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
I was asked for a couple pics so I pulled her out yesterday and took a few. I am on the hunt for interior carpet set. If anyone has a recommended site to find quality replacement Marine blue carpet please let me know.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage

Old 01-26-2014, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Gorgeous car!
Old 01-26-2014, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Beautiful car!

My oldest son and daughter used to ride to day care in my '87 930. We even used to go to the Sonic for ice cream every now and again. I got pressure from the wife (now ex-wife) to sell it. Big mistake.

Now I have the '86 slant. My 7 year old rides around in the back and we go to the Porsche Club Cars-N-Kaffee as a family.

If you can swing the finances, keep it for two simple reasons:

1) Its a good fun family hauler if you let it be.

2) They ain't making more of them. It is worth precisely what someone will pay for it. Whatever it is worth today, it will be worth more tomorrow. It is the only thing I own, including other cars, portfolio, ect. that is gaining value.

1986 930 Ultra-Smith RUF Slant Nose conversion, RUF VB, K-27 HF-S, B&B Headers and Exhaust, RUF Short Shifter, RUF Interior
Old 01-26-2014, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
I was in the same boat with my 993 cab. Sold it because of the baby. Needed to have a porker with a 3 point harness in the back. So along came the 930 targa turbo, 3 point harneses and more head room in the back, bonus. So i thought.
Baby seat didn't fit in the back. fast forward 3 years and my little man drives in the front in his car seat and loves it.
Kids grow up real quick. If you can keep it , then do so. The little one will appreciate it later on.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

I'll say it again like I did on page 1, try to keep the car if it doesn't put undo stress on you elsewhere.

Who says you have to return it to stock today? Your ultimate project will be much more enjoyable after you have had more time to live with car and get to know its own quirks and what really needs attention.

You own one of the greatest production sports cars ever built.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Keep it if you can. I can still hear my now 11 year old at age 5 screaming more boost daddy
Old 01-28-2014, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

First off amazing how pictures make all the difference. What I mean is look at orig set of pics and your carpet looks multicolored and throws off the whole car. In the later pic it looks great. This is where flippers make money as they will invest the $1000 to make the extra $5k

As far as selling I was just in the same boat. It will always cost you more to get one back especially in the condition of yours. Me I always feel guilty going for a ride when my kids can't come with me. There are plenty of options that could fit the family needs and performance car. Wanna buy my Dinan stroker M5???
Old 01-28-2014, 10:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
1987 930 Cab is for sale

Well it's real now. Its been great fun in one hell of a car but its time for it to go to a new home. The car is listed for sale on eBay. Pass the word if you know anyone looking for a 930 cab 300hp and 1 of only 183 made. Wish me luck. Yes I will be back some day.

1987 Porsche 930 Turbo Cabriolet | eBay
Old 04-05-2014, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
I had mine on evel bay for $46K with new engine and transmission, when I heard
a 79 930 worth more, changed my mind quick. still have it in the Garage, oh well
I have not gone to the Garage today. it is a nice sunny day here in Jersey
may go out for a ride with the son. don't sell man it worth more than $99K for your
well kept 930.
Regards

Alex
Old 04-05-2014, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
Whoops I screwed up that listing. Try this one.

1987 Porsche 930 Cabriolet | eBay
Old 04-05-2014, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: