Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Banned

Lifting Car via Trailing Arms?

Do you think it is wise/safe to lift the rear of the car via the trailing arms (the meat of the arms - near the wheel hubs) using a heavy duty floor jack with suitable padding?

I ask, because I would like to be able to raise the rear of the car, fairly high, without the wheels/trailing arms drooping downward (I would then put stacked/screwed toghether boards under the wheels and remove the jack).

Whadaya think?
Old 06-08-2014, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
I'd lift the car first via the proper points, set the car in place with jack stands on the torsion bar tube ends. Then jack up each wheel via the trailing arms. Then block up the trailing arms with your screw jacks.

Much safer and much kinder to the trailing arms. Remember, replacement trailing arms are not getting any cheaper these days.

Mark
Old 06-08-2014, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned

Thanks Mark (aka: Sir Slamus-Maximus) - sound advice right thar!
Old 06-08-2014, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

I've jacked mine by the trailing arms many times.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Banned

^^^^ Ha - batting 50% now (unlike Paul who "catches" 100% of the time) !!!!
Old 06-08-2014, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
Trailing arm all the time for me. Great for tire changes. Lifting it high? use the jack point.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Yeh well, husbands have sex wth their babysitters too...but that doesn't make it a good idea.

Sure you might get away with it for awhile, but when you get caught it's a b#&*ch!

New trailing arms (when you can find them) are a cool $1500.00 each, then there are the new wheel bearings + new pivot bushing + alignment.

Just saying.........

Mark

Last edited by full quack; 06-09-2014 at 12:41 PM..
Old 06-09-2014, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by full quack View Post
Yeh well, husbands have sex wth their babysitters too...but that doesn't make it a good idea.
Say whaaaattttt - that sounds like good work if you can get it?!?!?!?!
Old 06-09-2014, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: