Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Help on identifying a turbo (and find it's successor)

Hello,

While sorting all the issues on my new toy prior to try to restart it, I came across a stuck turbo.
While this is a bit annoying, it was prédictible knowing the story of the car...

The actual setup is interesting but only small clues are left to identify this beast.

Time for pictures:

What I could see:
- Air Research/Garrett casting marks on compressor side (M12, M10)
- Ground brand marks on compressor (looks to be Garrett)
- Oil inlet restrictor (BB?)
- No watercooling provisions
- Twin scroll hot side
- .55 mark in compressor housing (AR?)

Turbo was not fully hooked up, oil feed line and compressor housing were full of water.

What do you guys think I should go for replacement?

Old 08-30-2016, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Twin-scroll 0.55 AR T3? Wow, that thing must spool like lightning!

If you can swing a Garrett GT28R or GT30R would probably match that turbo I'd imagine.

You know the target hp? If I had to guess, 400hp or less?
Old 08-30-2016, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Garrett gt35r is what a lot of us run. Matches the engine very well.
Ducati 748R
Old 08-30-2016, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
All I know is that tell tail indicator on the boost gauge is still stucked at 1.25 bar...

In a near future, I plan on puting 964 cams this I have to carefuly choose the turbo.

I'm exploring the gt35r option but i'd like to find plug and play setup.
Compressor side is easy. For hot side, is that classic T03 flages?

Amongst the gt35r, which one to go?
Gt3582r or gt3571r?
What A/R should i use?
Old 08-30-2016, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Chris Carroll of Turbo Kraft can hook you up on the Garrett turbos and answer all your questions
Old 08-30-2016, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
Twin-scroll 0.55 AR T3? Wow, that thing must spool like lightning!

If you can swing a Garrett GT28R or GT30R would probably match that turbo I'd imagine.

You know the target hp? If I had to guess, 400hp or less?
That isn't a T3 anything apart from the turbine inlet flange. The .55 is the compressor A/R, that's a huge A/R turbine housing, like 1.30ish. Looks like a factory Garrett that someone modded the compressor inlet on. Measure the compressor inducer and turbine exducer and I'll tell you exactly what it is.

OP: Get a GT3582R with the T04E compressor housing and K26 style .82 turbine housing.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Chain fence eating turbo

Doh, yep. Didn't catch that. No one ever mentions AR on the compressor unless they're really pushing the envelope.

1.30 though? That'd be an extremely laggy turd...
Old 08-30-2016, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Doh, yep. Didn't catch that. No one ever mentions AR on the compressor unless they're really pushing the envelope.

1.30 though? That'd be an extremely laggy turd...
This laggy turd had a 1.30 A/R hotside (don't mind the cheesy "stick my mom in the car" pic)...

About as laggy as a bolt of lightning. Don't believe all the monkey see monkey do BS you read on the internet, most of it is just people regurgitating what they are told, right or wrong, usually the latter. It's all about the combination and setup. A/R just defines the angle at which exhaust gases hit the turbine inducer. Imagine pointing an air nozzle at a pinwheel and moving it around.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

The OP posted a small turbo, a 57 trim I'd think?

So, I deduced his engine is about 400hp give or take. The car you posted screams it uses a much higher flowing engine that can spin a 1.30 turbine housing.

I highly doubt a stock 930 could spool a 1.30 turbine housing unless the wheel was super tiny.

But, we all know looking at the outside of the housing means very little. Looking at the throat tells all. You couldn't tell my 0.84 from the 1.00 I had.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Looking at the throat tells all.

You did that on purpose, Cory!!! Yer a naughty, naughty man!!!
Old 08-30-2016, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post

You did that on purpose, Cory!!! Yer a naughty, naughty man!!!
Sucked you right out of the woodwork, eh?!

Gave you another canvas...
Old 08-31-2016, 03:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Thank you guys for the support, here qre more information about the turbo:

- compressor impeller is 58mm on top 84mm on base.
- turbine housing has a 100 mark inside the inlet
- turbine wheel has a exit diameter of 56mm

Once i manage to remove hot side housing, I'll let you know.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Chain fence eating turbo

The AR should be stamped inside the T3 flange area. Curious what it is.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

And yeah, I'm still thinking 57 trim.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

That is 48 trim. Trim is simply the aspect ratio of the inducer vs exducer: Inducer diameter squared divided by exducer diameter squared x 100 = wheel trim. The "100" he read in the turbine housing is probably 1.00 A/R.

Pesch - is the compressor wheel 6 blade?
Old 08-31-2016, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfab View Post
That is 48 trim. Trim is simply the aspect ratio of the inducer vs exducer: Inducer diameter squared divided by exducer diameter squared x 100 = wheel trim. The "100" he read in the turbine housing is probably 1.00 A/R.

Pesch - is the compressor wheel 6 blade?
When I say 57 trim, I'm going by what Garrett identifies that particular turbo by. The wheel size is close to one.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Compressor wheel has 6 blades and turbine housing has 100 stamped inside the inlet flange.

I'll post some pictures when im back home.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

We can see the aftermarket headers, and I assume it has a free-flow muffler as well.
Does your engine have an upgraded intercooler, too?
Cams?
Clutch?

Install a GT35R and you'll be delighted with the response and power.
TurboKraft can sell you just the turbocharger, or a complete package with every installation piece you'll need to fit it to your 930, right down to a stainless heat shield for the turbine housing.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 08-31-2016, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfab View Post
So you've worked on that car, too? Good ol' "Ping Pong," the car that seemingly bounced off everything out there. When was that photo taken?
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 08-31-2016, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
The car is a dp935, so has the large intercooler.
The cams have been replaced some time ago by a not much knowledgeable mechanics but I guess had been group B.
The valve spring retainers are some drilled lightweight.

I just discover bigger problem than the turbo and will open the engine shortly.

When time to buy a new turbo will come, I'll sure give a ring to turbokraft to get an appropriate setup...

Old 08-31-2016, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: