Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

930 what mods? Turbo, headers, intercooler

Hi there,

I have a stock 930 with 60k mls. As far as I know original engine.

I want to do the changes above and came across this parts. Do you think they´ll work well together or are they not a good choice?

Headers:
RarlyL8 Headers for Porsche 930

Muffler:
RarlyL8 Muffler systems for Porsche 930

Turbo:
K27 7200

Intercooler:
I ám really not sure here. Any ideas? long neck? (car is a 1984)

Many thanks Malte
Old 04-01-2018, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have the RarlyL8 headers with heat with his Hooligan muffler. my car had a K27 when I bought it. I love how the headers changed the car, full boost comes on around 3000 RPM (I don't remember exactly). I want to do the intercooler upgrade next, I expect to go with the TurboKraft long neck intercooler. I drove my car last week for the first time of the season, I really love the car!
1982 930, K-27, BL adj. WUR, Rarlyl8 Headers and Hooligan muffler, MSD 6, 22 and 30mm torsion bars, poly bronze bushings 30mm raised spindles and custom valved Bilstein shocks (by Elephant Racing), monoballs front and rear (by Rennline), Alton 17" Fuchs, Fred Cook fuse panel
Old 04-01-2018, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thank you!

I just took a look at the turbokraft intercooler. Sounds like a good choice!
Old 04-01-2018, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

the quality and workmanship of the RarlyL8 headers and muffler are second to none. They are a work of art.
1982 930, K-27, BL adj. WUR, Rarlyl8 Headers and Hooligan muffler, MSD 6, 22 and 30mm torsion bars, poly bronze bushings 30mm raised spindles and custom valved Bilstein shocks (by Elephant Racing), monoballs front and rear (by Rennline), Alton 17" Fuchs, Fred Cook fuse panel
Old 04-01-2018, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Boost Abuser

You can not go wrong with Rarlyl8's products. Email him and let him know of your needs and he can put together a package. Turbo,IC,Headers,Muffler, will really wake your car up. After that you're on the slippery slope that we all speak of ( well the one's who like modifications anyway !) and we'll help you spend more money. Welcome by the way and we need pics !!
Old 04-01-2018, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I have rarlyl8 headers and hooligan muffler, K27HFS turbo and turbikraft longneck IC. All great stuff.
Imo, if you do these upgrades, you really need an adjustable WUR to properly tune it and get the most out of these mods.
I also have a TiAl wastegate with 1.0 spring, which I would recommend.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Hi Malte,
We can help you with the intercooler, and a K27 modified to be a direct-fit installation into your 1984 chassis.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 04-02-2018, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Malte - go TurboKraft and you go best !

Chris is the man; he knows his stuff on the highest possible level - beside he is a very nice and honest person ... pure straight shooter ...

Best reg.

Dirk
Old 04-02-2018, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff NJ View Post
I have rarlyl8 headers and hooligan muffler, K27HFS turbo and turbikraft longneck IC. All great stuff.
Imo, if you do these upgrades, you really need an adjustable WUR to properly tune it and get the most out of these mods.
I also have a TiAl wastegate with 1.0 spring, which I would recommend.
Strongly recommend if you have a Lambda valve on your fuel head that you go with the FrankenCIS and leave the stock WUR in place. FrankenCIS will only need the Microsquirt, MAP sensor and WBO2 sensor and will control the lambda valve for mixture. Do not need the eWUR block and fuel injector. I added a digital fuel pressure sensor on mine for additional data but not necessary.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

It just so happens that I too have a 1984 930 which I chose to to all the same mods...

What are the odds?

In a sentence: I couldn’t be happier.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Thanks a lot for your answers guys!

Chris I will contact you directly?

Many thanks Malte
Old 04-03-2018, 04:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
All those are awesome upgrades, highly recommended. I have a used K27-7200 for sale in For Sale section, if you want to go used...
1975 Carrera / 965 tribute w/ 1989 3.3 turbo 8.5:1, custom Evergreen K27 7200, 964 cams, euro CIS, TEC1 dual plug, rarlyL8 headers & hooligan pipe. 915/68 trans, kevlar clutch and lightweight pressure plate.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Malte,

By chance do you know your production number for your '84? Mine is 281.

I love every upgrade, but upgrades taken as a whole. Rarly8's headers and street muffler with the 7200 turbo was a fantastic upgrade for me - again, together as a whole. So far, the stock intercooler is holding up well, but it's only a road car that's never seen a track... If i were to upgrade the intercooler, I wouldn't hesitate to reach out to turbocraft. I've not heard a bad word spoken about them. True and most knowledgeable enthusiasts of the 930. I'm certain they are my next stop. As much as I'd love to have a RUF Intercooler be the first thing one sees - It's just not worth the premium over a Turbocraft one...

Has anyone asked for a picture of you '84 yet? If not - Let's see it! I'm in the last stages of a bare metal, glass out respray now, so I'll be posting pics soon...

Enjoy the ride; the upgrades you're moving toward just make it that much better.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

You might also consider upgrading/modernizing the convoluted intake/diverter valve, especially if you're going to go with a long neck intercooler.

Again, Turbokraft can help you:
https://parts.turbokraft.com/products/930-high-performance-long-neck-intercooler-package
Old 04-03-2018, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
We are winding down a year long very expensive retooling for our product line. New fixtures for headers and adding a few tweaks that will make them even better. Production will begin very shortly.

I did a lot of testing with the Red Rocket using our headers, muffler, stock replacement intercooler and K27-7200 turbocharger. The result was 350whp, boost all in by 3000rpm, 100ft/lb or torque where it didn't use to be (due to lowering boost lag), more torque off-boost, and a wild banchi scream on the pipe! The headers are tuned and they sound like it, more Ferrari less motorboat. Idle is actually more quiet than stock due to the tuned pulses. All that and you loose probably 30lb off the rear of the car!
Old 04-03-2018, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy View Post
All those are awesome upgrades, highly recommended. I have a used K27-7200 for sale in For Sale section, if you want to go used...
FWIW I too have a K27 turbo for sale, mine is in a housing that will work with a stock intercooler and charge pipe without any special adapters.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaRu View Post
Thanks a lot for your answers guys!
Chris I will contact you directly?
Many thanks Malte
Yes, call or mail any time. Thanks!
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 04-04-2018, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
We are winding down a year long very expensive retooling for our product line. New fixtures for headers and adding a few tweaks that will make them even better. Production will begin very shortly.

I did a lot of testing with the Red Rocket using our headers, muffler, stock replacement intercooler and K27-7200 turbocharger. The result was 350whp, boost all in by 3000rpm, 100ft/lb or torque where it didn't use to be (due to lowering boost lag), more torque off-boost, and a wild banchi scream on the pipe! The headers are tuned and they sound like it, more Ferrari less motorboat. Idle is actually more quiet than stock due to the tuned pulses. All that and you loose probably 30lb off the rear of the car!
Brian,
Did you do a similar dyno run with your current headers and hooligan like I have to compare the gains of the newer headers? What boost level were you at for your testing?
Old 04-04-2018, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Performance is as good as it gets with the tuned design, that didn't change. Improvements were made in the assembly. I'll be posting pictures after the first production runs passes QC.
There are different configurations for different applications. The headers we build for stock engines use 1.5" primaries and run 0.75-1.0bar boost. Headers for mildly modified engines (400whp) use 1.63" primaries and run 1.0-1.2bar boost. Custom headers are built to accommodate the engine mods, v-band turbos, twin waste gates, oversized secondary, etc. One build I recall put out 750whp. Recently built a set for a RUF BTR as well.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I'm curious on what I could get to upgrade from an OEM intercooler to a larger one. I really only drive it hard on 60-120 mph sprints and 5-60 mph roll on acceleration. it has headers / dual out, 964 cams, k27 w/ an open dump pipe. What would a larger intercooler do for me?
79 930 #632
88 911 Cab
74 TR6
88 CRX Si
Old 04-06-2018, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: