Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question- can you put a 2.7 crank in a 2.2e

Hello

Iím rebuilding my 2.2e engine but unfortunately my std size crankshaft has some damage, possibly dirty oil Ect.. and Will likely need to be machined but will require the larger expensive bearing afterwords.

Would it be possible to fit a 2.7 crankshaft in my early 1970 case. I know of one
Locally in good condition and is all std sizing.

Would cylinders, pistons and connecting rods need to be replaced.

Also, could the 2.2e mfi pump be modified with a 2.7 space cam to work with the 2.7
Crankshaft.

Sorry if this is all silly questions, just something Iíve been wondering.

I know the case is not the strongest but itís still tempting.

Any thoughts appreciated
Old 06-27-2018, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Yes! That would be a 2.4E... If you build it to 2.4 E spec you could use a 2.4 injection pump.

2.2 injection pumps do not interchange space cams between later pumps.

A 2.4 Liter T pump can use a 2.4 E,S as well as the 2.7RS space cam.

Rods do not interchange...you will require 2.4/2.7 rods
805-240-6931
http://www.burnhamperformance.com
Old 06-27-2018, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thank you, really appreciate the reply.
In your opinion is this a worthwhile route to go? Or should I just keep things simple and find a nice 2.2 crankshaft or just have my crankshaft machined and buy larger bearings.
I’m thinking The 2.4e pump will be very expensive.
I’m really trying to do this on a tight budget but I also want to do it right.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by herman maire View Post
Thank you, really appreciate the reply.
In your opinion is this a worthwhile route to go?.
It depends on the what you want out of it. A 2.4E is a nice running engine.

Quote:
Or should I just keep things simple and find a nice 2.2 crankshaft or just have my crankshaft machined and buy larger bearings. .
That is truly up to you...

Quote:
Iím thinking The 2.4e pump will be very expensive. .
But a 2.4T pump is not too bad...Have a 2.4 E space cam installed during the calibration/re-build.

Quote:
Iím really trying to do this on a tight budget but I also want to do it right.
You know you are working on an early Mechanically injected Porsche right? I heard Chevy's are cheap.

You can use the 2.2E pistons/cylinders and will increase the compression .5 which is doable.
805-240-6931
http://www.burnhamperformance.com
Old 06-27-2018, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

2.2 to 2.4

I have done many of these swaps.Use 2.7 crank & rods.You need to trim about 9mm off the bottom of the piston skirts if my memory is correct for clearance at bottom dead center.If the 2.2 crank was worn your cylinders are as well.You can replate them with Nicasil back to standard with GOETZE cast iron rings.2.2E pump will work just fine.Do not touch it and adjust on CO tester when done.You make a few more HP with the Nicasil plating as well as less drag and lower oil temp.Ciao Fred
Old 06-28-2018, 02:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

You might want to give Marine Crank or Armando at CCR a call about potential options. Armando told me that a crank will expand when rehardened so maybe your crank can be brought back to standard. Maybe there are other options. The 66 counterweightef crank is a very good, strong crank and gives a good rod to stroke ratio that will be lost if you go to 2.7 crank. Also, I’d check with mfi experts as I think that you might be okay with existing pump if you stay with an e cam. You just may have to recalibrate pump or play around with screws.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: