Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Mahle contact for custom pistons

Hello - I understand that it is possible to order custom pistons from Mahle and think it is in the US, but I canít find an order form or contact number online. Does anyone have info on who to contact? Thanks.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
gearhead

Try Engine Builders Supply.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Let me know how this works out... I met with the Mahle reps at SEMA and custom was not on their radar. Hence our relationship with CP now who makes products specifically for us with our logo and our part number on them.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
What cylinders would you run with the CPs, Jeff?
Looks like nice stuff. Sorry for the redirect on the thread, OP.....
And a bunch of parts I haven't installed yet.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Mahle Support

I need a set of odd size piston rings (I believe theyíre 1.2Ē and 3.0Ē) for a set of Max Moritz P&Cís I picked up a few years ago for my 3.0 SC.

According to EBS, Mahle rings are unavailable. I think they use Perfect Seal rings on old P&Cís like mine. Mahle has an outstanding reputation for their machine work, and I have read about the improper fit of some Perfect Seal rings on the MM pistons.

It would be nice if Mahle would support some of their older products, but since they still sell Max Moritz 3.1 kits, it would seem they still make the rings? I just donít understand why they are not available separately.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Thought I saw a thread recently here where Neil from Performance Development helped someone design special Mahle pistons for a 2.8!build. Maybe PD can help?

Also, I recall some older threads from a few years ago of Mahle getting back into custom piston work but don’t remember seeing any point of contact.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Our core business is designing custom engine parts. Pistons are one of the many parts we design. We use Mahle pistons exclusively to supply our custom designed Pistons.

Any piston company will make anything you want but you have to give them a drawing of what you need. Typically what is offered off the shelf are copies of original Pistons.

Expect custom Pistons to cost more to cover design time etc.

Some of the features you can have are more modern piston designs, stronger forgings, thinner ring packs, shorter compression heights, shorter skirt lengths, smaller pin diameters , gas porting etc.

I'm out of the office but have created this account to reply any questions.

Neil Harvey
Performance Developments.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks Neil and all others that have responded. There are many good companies that make pistons but I just prefer the Mahle based on past experience and they seem to perform well. Neil, I have a good idea of what I want and will reach out to you to see if you can assist me.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
One thing to consider is cylinder size, since while you can get custom pistons, Mahle is not making custom cylinders (at least, not to my knowledge). I had started developing a custom set of 100mm pistons but was made aware you can't get 100mm cylinders from Mahle anymore.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

To my knowledge cylinders are still available. However, you cannot buy and sizes that are the Porsche factory sizes direct. 100.00 cylinders are probably available through Porsche dealerships, or any of the major aftermarket houses. Be prepared to see above spec dimensions in any cylinders purchased from any source other than a Porsche dealership.

There are other places that sell their own brand of cylinders offering the porsche std sizes. Or you can have your cylinders repaired.

We are currently looking at offering our own cylinders but with a completely different internal coating. These are in testing right now but even with a major reduction in friction over Nikisil, the oil control is still an issue we are concerned about. You get nothing for free in this business.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Mahle makes pistons for small block Chevys, but not Porsche. Really?

So far my JEs have been fine.

Rant over.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 07-02-2018, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Mahle makes plenty of pistons for Porsches. Lot of stuff in the catalog. The question is if they will do one off custom parts....
Old 07-02-2018, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybek View Post
What cylinders would you run with the CPs, Jeff?
Looks like nice stuff. Sorry for the redirect on the thread, OP.....
In the aircooled motors we run them in new Mahle cylinders or bored/plated original cylinders. In the watercooled motors we run them in Nickies or our Ductile Iron sleeves for which CP makes us a custom piston complete with our part number and logo on it.

I spent considerable time talking with JE, Mahle and CP at SEMA. We had used a ton of JE pistons in the past, which were all good. After speaking with their "staff" at SEMA we decided we had bought our last JE piston...

We spoke with Mahle, who were extremely professional but didn't seem to have an appetite for custom builds in a timely fashion. Bear in mind we aren't talking about ordering 20 sets of the same piston all at once. But, I left that meeting with the feeling that any product we purchased (Porsche to VW air and water) would be a quality product they would stand behind.

We met with CP who were extremely accommodating. Jerry who heads up the Porsche side of things was the JE Porsche guy for 20+ years. We were able to build a program of custom parts with decent delivery with them. Very pleased with the service and the quality of the piston sets (pistons, rings, rods) as well as the connecting rods.

Cheers
Old 07-02-2018, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I agree that CP makes a good product and they are aclose second for me. I don’t want to get into the debate about different metal expansion rates and tolerances (as that’s been discussed at length here), etc. but I’m planning to use Mahle cylinders and for that reason would prefer to use Mahle Pistons if quality of forgings etc. are about the same. I also found a German company that can have custom Mahle pistons made with relatively quick turnaround but would prefer to have a direct contact in the US.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rusty 911,

There are many choices when it comes to Pistons.

My advice is to know exactly what you need from the piston, it's use and the ability of the supplier to give you what you need.

It's not a simple as many think if you want the best result.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Yes, I tealize it can be complicated but I do know what I’m looking for. You have more knowledge in this area so I’m sure you may have suggestions if I were to order through PD. Admittedly, the main purpose of this inquiry was to find a direct Mahle contact so that I can just deal with them directly.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

We are working with Mahle Motorsports to bring back old NLA Mahle sets, coupled with our Nickies cylinders. It took about 4 years of working with Mahle Motorsports between evaluation and testing of our cylinders and then making custom 2618 forgings to go with our Nickies.

That said, we've started building a program for the major wholesalers to the Porsche industry (SSF, IMC, Worldpac) and the parts we build are directly affected by the feedback we get from shops and those building their engines as to what part numbers we work on adding to the newly expanded Mahle Motorsports catalog.
Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution
Old 07-04-2018, 04:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Charles brings up the difference in what we provide for our customers.

Our core business is to offer custom work and parts. The Pistons we supply to our customers and in our engine projects are custom designs. Not copies of NLA or copies of existing designs.

There is nothing wrong with these early designs. Kinda like, if it's not broke.

But these designs are old and not that efficient in making power. Our business is unlike Charles business. He supply's volume designs where if it fits your build, it's s good choice. Our product is for those that want something different, more modern and with these new designs weight and other factors are considered important.

The line of rods and pistons we are working on will fit all standard deck heights but will have different rod lengths and piston comp heights. We leave the stock dimension config's to those that supply existing designs.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awayfromoffice View Post
Charles brings up the difference in what we provide for our customers.

Our core business is to offer custom work and parts. The Pistons we supply to our customers and in our engine projects are custom designs. Not copies of NLA or copies of existing designs.

There is nothing wrong with these early designs. Kinda like, if it's not broke.

But these designs are old and not that efficient in making power. Our business is unlike Charles business. He supply's volume designs where if it fits your build, it's s good choice. Our product is for those that want something different, more modern and with these new designs weight and other factors are considered important.

The line of rods and pistons we are working on will fit all standard deck heights but will have different rod lengths and piston comp heights. We leave the stock dimension config's to those that supply existing designs.
The sets we have built in partnership with Mahle Motorsports are modern interpretations of the NLA part, with obvious improvements in piston design, coating, rings, etc., however Neil is correct that they are all designed to work with stock connecting rod and crankshaft configurations.

We do work with our other piston partners JE and CP for fully custom pistons as a customer's project requires on a daily basis as well.
Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution
Old 07-04-2018, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: