Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

3.2L Complete height?

If you had a complete 3.2 sitting on the ground, how high would the tallest point be?

I have been offered a very high quality lift table, but it's lowest height is 19" 10" of that is ridiculously large castors... How low would I need to make it to clear an engine from a 911 on jackstands?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 09-11-2018, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

That's a pretty tall lift table. You might be able to get it under the engine while it's on jack stands. I love lift tables, but to use them with 911 motors, you have to get the car up pretty high. I think mine sits at about 10" high, and I use a regular floor jack to clear, without bumper, barely. Then, I used six ratchet straps from my rafters to get it on the engine stand. I have beefy rafters....
Old 09-11-2018, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hah, I have a 1920's garage and the rafters are anything but beefy.😁

Was hoping that if I swapped to shorter casters and got the table height down to 13" or so I'd be able to slip the engine out and raise it to my service stand (with rear of car on tall jack stands under torsion tubes).
Old 09-11-2018, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I think I calculated that I needed 18" drop to clear rear without bumper with my mediocre jackstands. And, it wasn't enough, with a low rise floor jack. Tilted the tranny up a little bit to clear. That jack was about 4 inches from the ground.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdRogers View Post
I think I calculated that I needed 18" drop to clear rear without bumper with my mediocre jackstands. And, it wasn't enough, with a low rise floor jack. Tilted the tranny up a little bit to clear. That jack was about 4 inches from the ground.
I was able to get it down to 13" by swapping casters. If I need 18" drop (Height of engine?) I'll need 31" clear. That's pretty high with jackstands...

Good German lift table (Gruse Maschinenbau GmbH & Co), hope to get some good use out of it!

Old 09-12-2018, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

To clear a 3.2 without removing the bumpers, you need the bottom of the case around no more than 6s. I can slide mine in and out of a regular floor jack with a 2 X 4 on top of the jack pad.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: