Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1980 SC 3.0 Valve Spring Replacement Questions

My 80 SC has what appears to be a broken #1 Intake spring. After reading around a bit, it sounds like mine may be at risk for having compromised springs from the factory. So I'll just replace all of them. I have the springs/SIR Tools on the way. Getting ready for the push.

First question: should I just cut to the chase and drop the drivetrain? I've got stubby fingers and am not terribly confident in tight spaces. Will a partial drop work? (Had it out last year for a substantial refresh... everything else is still good, just need to address the springs this round)

Likely to have a bunch more questions so thanks in advance!

Old 02-02-2019, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Can valve springs be replaced without taking the heads off?
Old 02-02-2019, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

valve spring replacement

I vote for removing the drive train . Do you want to make it a not so bad project or a manual dexterity test ?

Last edited by Richey; 02-02-2019 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: punctuation
Old 02-02-2019, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I had an intake spring break and just replaced the one. It wasn’t that hard to do in place. I would say the bottom springs would be easy by just removing the exhaust system. You’ll have to be the judge about doing the top ones in place.

-Andy
Old 02-03-2019, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Is their a reason for replacing all the springs. I had a 3.0 break a spring many years ago. I replaced only the broken spring. Put an additional 100K + miles with no issues.
Rob
Old 02-03-2019, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

@mikedsilva Yes you can replace with heads on. Pelican offers tools from SirTools that enable this.

Manual dexterity is not necessarily my strong suit. Dropping small parts in places they should never go... more up my alley.

Planning to cut to the chase and replace all of them for two reasons:
1. I keep reading about a batch of springs that were compromised from the factory. Date range usually seems to include 1980. I assume the issue would have presented by now, but why take the chance (if accessible).
2. I had my mechanic check over all my work from last winter. He advised that most of the springs were "soft" and should be replaced.

Car has 93,000 miles. I assume original springs. Fairly inexpensive refresh.

Ok, car is up on stands. Going for the drop. Stay tuned.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Valve spring removal........

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedsilva View Post
Can valve springs be replaced without taking the heads off?

I had done the valve springs removal by using P7E and P7I tools. If you are replacing all the valve springs, it would be prudent to do it with the motor on an engine stand.

Tony
Old 02-07-2019, 01:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I'm aware of the quality issue for valve springs fitted to original 3.0 SC, but has anyone else had a failure of a fairly new spring?

I have a set ordered from our host 2 years ago; they've done approx 5000miles... found a broken outer on cylinder 6 intake today.

Not sure if I should replace all 12 sets, or just the 1 set? The ones I ordered were the generic OEM ones.. not Porsche genuine.

Open to guidance.

Old 01-09-2020, 03:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: