Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
914-6Werkshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat6pac View Post
Instead of spending money on twisted, pulled, deformed case, buy a 3.0 and be happy ever after.
Bruce
I agree. Even after you spend $2500+++ on machining the mag case, mag still degrades quickly. Cracks, crumbles, warps, ect. There's many good reasons Porsche went back to aluminum on the 3.0 and larger, turbo, ect.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Rosco_NZ

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Rosco_NZ
Looks to me like the head stud holes and therefore the inserts have not been placed in the right spots. Therefore the cylinders will not locate or seal correctly. I think 2.4 to 2.7 is a common conversion if done correctly but this like an amateur hack. It could be corrected by inserting and re-drilling in correct locations but considerable work.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco_NZ View Post
Please enlighten me .. what’s wrong with the Case Saver installation in these cases ... about to embark on a similar project .. seeking good info
Looking at the pictures, I would guess that whoever installed these simply bought the inserts (cheap), and did the install with generic cutting tools (drills/taps). The time-serts kit includes the correct sized drill, and an adjustable counterbore tool. The correct counterbore does cut through the edge of the cylinder spigot, but only slightly, and leaves a recessed surface in the case the precise diameter/depth to accept the top flange of the insert. These are ugly because somebody just used a big drill bit to clearance for the flange, and chewed much farther into the cylinder spigot than necessary. And then they didn't even get the inserts screwed in flush with the case surface. The boring/tapping should be done on a drill press, or ideally, a mill. These have the look of having been done with a hand drill. With everything else done wrong, its fair to assume these were not "locked" in place with a roll tap (also included in the kit).

Last edited by Daves911L; 04-06-2019 at 11:04 AM..
Old 04-06-2019, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Timeserts are more apt to pull out than case savers.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: