Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

The pistons appear to measure ok so far.

I have been cleaning the carbon off the tops etc - I think this how artificial diamonds are made. I have been soaking the pistons in diesel for a week.

Perhaps time for something stronger or give them to a machine shop.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
I am my 911's PO

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjedi View Post
The pistons appear to measure ok so far.

I have been cleaning the carbon off the tops etc - I think this how artificial diamonds are made. I have been soaking the pistons in diesel for a week.

Perhaps time for something stronger or give them to a machine shop.

I soak mine in Berryman's ChemDip overnight, scrape off the softened crud, soak another night in clean ChemDip, then brush and rinse with mineral spirits. The coffee can is for the first soak. The tray at lower left is what gets scraped off after the first soak. I keep the pistons inverted so loosened crud drains away from the rings.

The three pistons show the initial carbon, after first soak and final.

Others have their favorite techniques - search and see if any appeal to you.

2015 Cayenne Diesel - tow vehicle and daily drive
2017 Macan (happy wife...)
Old 04-03-2019, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

I can’t stand the thought of buying another chemical. However I am considering it. Did it clean the ringlands?
Old 04-03-2019, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

+1 on ChemDip.I use a brass brush. Carbon comes off easy. Brake cleaner for final cleaning

john
Old 04-03-2019, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Straight shooter

Garage
Brake clean and wd40 alternating and sometimes mixing with a scuff pad works well. I would blast and mirror polish or ceramic coat the domes personally. Builder's choice.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
“Of the value traps, the most widespread and pernicious is value rigidity. This is an inability to revalue what one sees because of commitment to previous values. In motorcycle maintenance, you MUST rediscover what you do as you go. Rigid values makes this impossible.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
Old 04-03-2019, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
I am my 911's PO

Garage
Quote:
I can’t stand the thought of buying another chemical. However I am considering it.
If you're concerned about disposal, I didn't have to use much ChemDip, only enough to cover the crown of an inverted piston. The coffee can is slightly bigger than the piston so there's little waste.

Do wear protective gear and read the precautions. The chemistry of this stuff is different than your typical garage solvents.

Quote:
Did it clean the ringlands?
Mine weren't too bad, so I cleaned them with solvent. If they were really caked, I would remove the rings so the solution had a good shot at the grooves.

Good luck,
Steve
Old 04-03-2019, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: