Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest Bonding Plugs and Pins- Rebuild 3.2

I have a question on the use of JB Weld where the factory pins and plugs are placed in the case. My engine, 1984 3.2 only appears to have had two of these bonded from the factory, all others are clear of any sealant or bonding. Wayne’s rebuilding book suggests bonding all of the pins and plugs in the case and points them out in the diagrams (3-3). Looking for clarity and see if anyone recommends bonding all of them, even if not done by the factory for the 3.2, or is this something that is more specific to the older cases?
Old 03-30-2019, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Bump..
I am in the exact same situation with my 89 3.2.

Quick advice greatly appreciated. I was planning to do this this weekend. I hadn't thought about not doing the oher plugs, but good question.

Thx

Mark
1971 BMW R60/5
Old 04-06-2019, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Do all of them.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I think only the ones on the chain housings fall into the "clean and add some more epoxy" no matter what category. Those "plugs" are the ends of rods which hold the chain guides, so they get pressed up or down, which eventually can crack the bond.

Where a plug just seals a drilling, like the cam carrier spray bars, or the various oil galleries, I'd be inclined to add epoxy to those only if you had pulled them so you could clean things, and had driven new aluminum plugs back in. There a belt and suspenders seems prudent in case your plug somehow wasn't as good as the factory plug (though better tends to be tapping the holes and screwing plugs in, with an eye to future rebuilds.)

Of course, if you think a particular plug is leaking, of course you are going to clean and slather away. And epoxying exterior stuff which may not need it isn't going to cause problems, Wayne recommends it, so why not? Though it takes some time, because it isn't worth doing unless done right. This isn't going to hold a loose plug in, but the original factory plugs don't loosen from what I have seen.

Over by where the engine oil cooler is, a short length of steel pipe, which is cast into the engine block, is exposed to the outside. I've not had a leak there, but you can slather epoxy over that just in case.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for your feedback boosted79 and Walt. I also got a word from my machine shop that said go ahead and do it, it won't hurt anything. I was just being a bit of a "leave it just like the factory did" freak. I will take the advice and move forward with my build. And I hope Dauner is back on track as well.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: