Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Head Studs Are Out !!!!

Well, after an 8 hour day in the garage with a couple of fellow Pelicanheads/NoVa gang it is now official: the head studs have been removed

I'm too exhausted now to do a complete write-up but I'll definately do that tomorrow.

For the time being I've updated the pictures of my project with today's events.

Now all I need is a good nights sleep so I can start on my list for Santa in the morning ...

http://www.dorkiphus.com/porsche/modules.php?set_albumName=album25&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php&page=3
Old 11-29-2003, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Decisions decisions. If it's not deciding about whether to re-ring, it's deciding which type of head studs to go for! Which ones are you going to fit Doug? I've not removed my studs yet (no broken ones), and your 8 hour battle is not helping my enthusiasm!!
Old 11-30-2003, 01:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Did you use a torch to heat the case or just twist em out?
Old 11-30-2003, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Ha! I can beat your 'what's been living in my sound pad' picture. How 'bout this one? It's my prior '86 after I pulled the engine and started cleaning up the engine compartment.

Chris.

Old 11-30-2003, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Nathan - I had 3 broken studs (all exhaust = dilivar) so I will be replacing with OEM steel studs. Even though none of the intake (= steel) were broken I still pulled them since I was in there.

The 8 hours was start to finish yesterday and involved: pulling left heat exchanger, both chain housings and innerds, both heads, all cylinders, all pistons and then finally all head studs. We spent extra time on the 3 broken studs since we had to tap them (very carefully) and then used extra care when removing.

Fortunately we only had to heat (using simple MAP gas set-up) 2 of the studs (ironically they weren't any of the broken ones) and didn't heat the block for more then 3 minutes at a clip.

The collett stud removal tool is a MUST. I don't know how anybody can remove the studs with-out that thing - simply an amazing tool. Yes it took some effort to break the loctite seal but once that was done the studs simply unscrewed.

Initally we tried to leave the pistons inside the cylinders but we couldn't get the wristpins out by using a simple hook device. Since I have the Alusils I decided against re-ringing and therefore since I will be re-using the same rings which have already seated we went ahead and pulled the cylinders off which made tapping out the wrist pins a breeze.

The only casualty was a snapped exhaust stud on one of the heads. At first we tried to remove it ourselves but after one attempt failed and a reverse bit got stuck in there I decided to leave it for a machine shop.

I realize the 8 hours was a full day but we were definately taking our time and double/triple checking everything we were doing.

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any specific questions or want more detail. I'm still on an emotional high from yesterday
Old 11-30-2003, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

So Doug, does this mean your engine will be ready to go back in next weekend.

Great job!
Old 11-30-2003, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

LOL Jim - not quite that quick. Right now I'm shooting for mid-Jan given my work schedule and the holidays. Don't worry - I'll be sure to have a BF sledgehammer handy for that day
Old 12-01-2003, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: