Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Setting adjustable oil thermostat?

I have an earlier motor (1970) with an adjustment screw on the top of the oil thermostat (for internal oil cooler, not external). I am looking for information on how to setup and use this feature. Right now, I have it set to be closed at room temp (routing oil back into motor), but I have no real idea on how it should be set, or if the adjustment screw on the top really controls at what temp the thermostat will open.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Kevin,

Show us a picture or five.

Best,
Grady
Answers (correct) - - - - - - - - - - $12.50
Old 07-19-2004, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Grady -

I'll get pix tonight when I get back home. In the meantime, the adjustment method is a simple set screw with a locking nut. You screw it in or out, and the internal section of the thermostat moves in the same direction.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Tim Walsh
when in doubt TEST!. I have one of the same from my 69T motor but haven't tried adjusting it. How about dropping your thermostat in a pot of oil then heat the thermostat up in the oil. test with a cooking tehrmometer,adjust to you liking?

How variable are the thermostat's anyway? Out of the 3 I had 2 didn't work so I had to buy a new one. Glad I did anyway since the openings are HUGE compared to a 2.0 or even the 2.4 thermostat.
"Dave, hit the brakes, but don't look like your htting the brakes...what? I DON'T KNOW, BRAKE CASUAL!!!" dtw's thoughts after nearly rear ending a SHP officer
Old 07-19-2004, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
PRO Motorsports

Simply run the motor until the oil cooler gets hot. Note the temp on the gauge at which point the cooler gets hot. If you want it to open at a lower temp, tighten it in. If you want it to open at a higher temp, back it out.

Shoot for 180 deg F.
R-Gruppe member #382

'69 911E coupe' 2.7E MFI (retired 911-Spec racer)
'72 911T Targa
2004 GT3
Old 07-19-2004, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: