Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to kstylianos
Camgrinder - SuperC2 vs. SC330's

Iím currently running an SC330 grind in a 9.7:1 CR SC motor. The engine has SSIís with sport muffler and enlarged intake ports and runners (36mm). The exhaust ports were kept stock for added backpressure/low end torque. Cams are currently timed at 2.0mm lift.

The cam and headwork were already ordered/complete by the time I decided to bump up the compression, so I just decided to keep the SC330s for the time being. Now that Iím familiar with the engine and its characteristics after ~10K miles street/track use Iím considering switching to cams that may be better suited for my engine/ driving needs.

Per your suggestion you mentioned the SuperC2 grind is a better fit for a higher compression engine, but I currently like the mid range torque and is really nice to drive on the street, but would like a little more grunt in the top end for track use.

What type of change would I notice from switching from the SC330 grind to the SuperC2. Would I lose some lower end torque (about how much) for some more top end grunt (how much more). Where do the SuperC2 cams come Ďon camí and where do you expect them to peak out?

Here is a recent dyno chart of my engine as is stands. Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited by kstylianos; 07-23-2004 at 02:17 PM..
Old 07-23-2004, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hi Charlie,
The powerband you have now looks good.
The Super C2 cam has a little more duration and a lot more valve lift. I would expect to lose a little (5ft lbs) below 3000 rpms and gain from 4000 and up. Because of the added duration I would expect the torque curve to carry another 200 to 300 rpm before it starts to fall off.
Increasing the valve lift helps cylinder filling thru the entire powerband due to the increased area under the curve.
The super C2 cam is not a racing cam, its to a 964 cam what the 330SC cam is to a stock SC. But in the SC it sometimes has a lumpy idle.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to kstylianos
Thanks for the input, John.

Is it possible to regrind the SC330's to another profile, or should I look for another set of virgin cams?
Old 08-02-2004, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hi Charlie,
It may be possible to grind them to a 964 profile. I would have to do the math. more than a 964 is doubtful.
You should be able to find someone to trade some "virgins"for yours and then start fresh.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: