Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Rocker Install Logistics

OK, I'm stumped. I've just gone through cam timing, which was wonderfully easy, but now am confused on rocker arm installation order. I have two questions:

1. With the chain boxes on, there is no way to install two of the #1 and #4 rocker shafts without pushing in the shaft through the thick side of the cam tower. What to do?

2. Wayne's book says the bolt head should always be facing an inner galley, however if this is the case I can't get a torque wrench in the available space. How does one do this? I can have all my bolt heads with the exception of #3 and #6 work this (assumng I've started with #1 and #4) way using a long extension, but for those two, do run the head facing out so I can torque it, or do I point it in the galley and do it by feel?

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris
Old 08-28-2004, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

i guess you have no choice but to install it thru the thick boss. just be sure it's clean so you don't cause any scoring of the bore. if you assemble the heads, towers, rockers and shafts on the bench and then install the whole unit, you don't have to worry about that. the end/outside shafts face inward with the bolt head/5mm allen side. you can't tighten them by the 8mm end. on the center ones, the 5mm end is on the side of the thin boss. that's the factory way. a 1/8" drive torque wrench, at least a snapon one, should fit in there ok.

edit, i meant 1/4" drive. must be tired.

Last edited by john walker's workshop; 08-29-2004 at 08:33 AM..
Old 08-28-2004, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
So, sometimes you have to break the rules on the rocker shaft installation. Just be clean and careful about it if you do.

On the torquing. What is really the benefit of having the bolt head face the inner galley? Given that I don't have an 1/8 drive torque wrench, would you suggest running those #3 and #6 bolt heads outwards in a position that I can torque them with the wrenches I have, or should I face them inward and guesstimate the torque? I really don't feel the need to add an 1/8 drive torque wrench and associated hex drivers to my toolbox.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

you have to think of the next guy who will be cussing you because he can't get the shafts loose without tearing down the engine. the factory spec (13#) is for new towers and shafts. used ones can loosen when set at factory spec, so do 18#. gotta be someone around with a 1/4 drive torque wrench.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

This is a REALLY old thread, however, I wonder how people are correctly torquing the 5mm allen nut, from the inside of the tower.. do torque wrenches actually fit in there? I know mine doesn't.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Engine Case Guy

No, they don't, which is why you use a really long and thin 1/4" extension. You can torque ever rocker arm properly with an extension.
Current: 1970 914-6 conversion 2.7, 1973 T, 1975 930 Turbo Targa, 1978 928 Race car, 6.57L, 1983 911SC, 1987 928S4 5 speed, 2002 911 Targa, 2007 997TT, 2009 997TT, 2004 40th Anniversary Carrera, Mclaren 570S and 12C

Only reproduction 3.6 cases on the planet www.taorminaracingdesigns.com
Old 07-16-2019, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I face mine with the 5mm towards the flywheel and the 8mm towards the chains. Use a long 1/4" extension and a 1/4" torque wrench to tighten a 5mm bit epoxied in a 1/4" drive socket. I welded an 8mm bit into a small open end wrench to hold the 8mm side while torquing the 5mm side.
Easy as pie.
Tony
Old 07-16-2019, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

rocker shafts

The bottom line it doesn't matter which direction they go in, other than being able to get to the 5mm end while in the car which is the most important for servicing.
Mike Bruns
Old 07-16-2019, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

We install them all accessible from the flywheel end of the motor. This way you can use a torque wrench easily to install them. Use John's higher spec, old shafts in old housings will walk out of the bore at factory torque, end of story. Never had one walk out with 18 or 19 Lb/ft of torque on them. I am not sure how many engines Wayne has built himself.

I don't care about the next builder in this case. Installed in this manner they are not going to walk out. I am not ever going to replace rockers with the engine in the car. If it needs that level or service, at minimum, we are pulling the engine...

Cheers

Last edited by Jeff Alton; 07-17-2019 at 10:15 PM..
Old 07-17-2019, 10:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
No one who, like me, just tighten them as much as you can with a 5 mm "L" allen wrench?

I'm no pro, just working on my own cars and some friends... So far with no rockers backing out or bolts snapping or rounding off.
924 -79 rat roddy...
931 -79 under total restoration...
Old 07-17-2019, 11:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Alton View Post
We install them all accessible from the flywheel end of the motor. This way you can use a torque wrench easily to install them. Use John's higher spec, old shafts in old housings will walk out of the bore at factory torque, end of story. Never had one walk out with 18 or 19 Lb/ft of torque on them. I am not sure how many engines Wayne has built himself.

I don't care about the next builder in this case. Installed in this manner they are not going to walk out. I am not ever going to replace rockers with the engine in the car. If it needs that level or service, at minimum, we are pulling the engine...

Cheers

I like this approach and follow it.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: