Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Stabilizing ring, a solution to the niresist ring.

here is a better way to incorporate a flame ring into your high hp motor.

Last edited by garibaldi; 09-01-2004 at 08:25 AM..
Old 09-01-2004, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Nice work!

I've got something similar in my RSR motor (although I am using copper for ring material).

My solution mates the head to the cylinder using the flame ring. The ring is shaped a bit to help with the sealing. Think of your ring with a groove cut out of the inside edge. The side with the larger inside diameter (thinner "wall" thickness) goes into a properly sized groove on the cylinder and the side with the smaller inside diameter goes into a groove in the head (like yours).
Old 09-01-2004, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Well, the concept is nothing new, I just think that the modification is a band aid regardless, but I do them for people if they want me to. These rings dont fix the problem, they are supposed to help seal the chamber shoudl the head lift-

Well if the head wasnt lifting, you woudlnt need a ring. Plus by the time you are stretching the motor apart, the damge has been done and the motor is shot, the rings might help you finish the race.

The problem I saw was that if you had to have a flame ring, everyone has a different way of doing it in terms of trying to predict the crush and fit on the ring.

So I thought, why not minimize the guesswork and use a ring made from the same material that it is going into. So I turned these rings from aluminum 7075 T-7 solid barstock, I gave the groove they fit into a interference of .0005 so they are tight, and not only will create a labyrynth seal shoudl the head lift, but will lock and stabilize the head and cylinder from any lateral movement during operation.

Now, when the thermal changes occur, everything is aluminum, so it grows at the same rate, instead of having an iron, copper, or steel ring in the groove, that is getting yanked and distorted everytime the motor cycles thermally and dynamically. Problem with the traditional rings, is that when you pull the motor apart, they are junk, plus they usually get set up at a slight crush, so the high unit loading is on the ring, instead of maximizing the surface area over the original head sealing surface.

I woudl rather machine the sealing surfaces dead flat, and run a head stud that will keep things together. Like I said, if the head doesnt lift, you dont need a ring.

I am working on something to eliminate this right now, but in the meantime, if you have to have flame rings...................
Old 09-01-2004, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hey Christian, drop me a line. My email address is charles@LNengineering.com. I might be interested in offering your service to my customers in conjunction with my billet cylinders. Looks promising! I just finished manufactuing my billet 3.6, 3.6->3.8, and 3.8 RSR cylinders and I'm not 100% convinced on the sealing goove used by the factory....

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance

'99 Boxster powered by Flat 6 Innovations; '10 Cayman S (DFI testbed)
Old 09-04-2004, 08:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: