Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to jakev
Porsche Crest Wiring Harness

The wiring harness on my 2.7 looks to be home made. The car is supposebly a 71 911T, but has had a lot of extras put on it over the years. So, I am wondering where one can get a proper wiring harness.

To me, the engine harness should be mostly autonomous of the remainder of the car. Once the engine is cranked over, there should be little "communication" between the engine and the remainder of the car. Things like the cold start valve, and other engine components should not require any relays or switchs on the main electrical system. True or not?
Old 09-25-2004, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Actually not true.

There are the connectors to the CDI.
Tach connection.
Oil pressure and temperature senders.
Alternator connections.
Ground connections.

I assume your 2.7 is CIS.
You have connections to the warm-up regulator? Throttle switch?

The good news is most of the pin locations and wire colors are somewhat standard. But, DONíT assume so. Get the diagrams for both the car and the engine and check them out.

You can make a nice new harness from a salvage 911 and heat shrink tubing.

Best,
Grady
Answers (correct) - - - - - - - - - - $12.50
Old 09-25-2004, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hi

In what way does it look 'Home made' , The original harnesses were wrapped with insulation tape. You can as Grady says make one out of heat shrink but even these days a lot of harneesses are
taped together

Neven
Old 09-25-2004, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

You would be surprised how easy it is to make a harness if you are comfortable with crimps, a soldering iron and heat gun or propane torch for the shrink. Try SteinAir for quaility Tefzel aircraft wire at great prices. Most of the plugs are the same as bosch injector plugs available at many auto stores. Porsche also used reusable pin type plugs for the main large plugs (at least on my year) they can be heated off and then soldered on to new wire.
Old 09-25-2004, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Check out this post:

Replace wiring harness?
Old 09-28-2004, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: