Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

2.2 L Use 90mm Mahle Pistons & Cylinders?

I have a 1971 911 T with its original engine. Can I use a set of 90 mm Mahle pistons and cylinders on it. They are adertised at fitting a 2.0-2.7 engine. I beleive that the head bolt spacing is the same on all there motors so they should bolt up. What other parts would be required? Can I use the same rods and heads? What would the resulting compression ratio be? The add did not mention what compression the pistons were rated for. I've often thought about this uprade/conversion since 90 mm 2.7 pistons are easily available but have never heard of it mentioned any where. Any feed back is appreciated.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

yes, you can use these on a 2.2. They will fit the head and bolt/stud pattern. they are not a bolt on. YOu will have to have your case spigots cut to fit the new cylinders which are a larger diameter. The new 90mm bore will give you a short stroke 2.5 which is a great little engine. The resulting CR will be lower since the crank is a 66mm for a 2.2, not 70.4 as in the 2.4/2.7. The RS P/C set has a CR of 8.5:1 on the longer crank. I think this works out to around 8:1 on the short crank. A better way to do this is to use the Mahle nikasil cylinders with custom JEs to up the CR.

Do a serch for "2.5" and you will find more information.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 10-22-2004, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Old Member

Kevin

You'll need to bore out the spigots, use 2.7 heads and CIS cams if the pistons are CIS. Should give you 2.5L. There are probably other issue someone else can add.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies. I was aware that any cylinder bore over 87.5 mm would require macining the case spigots. I did not realize that I'd have to change cams, thanks for the heads up. But, do I really have to get different heads or can my 2.2 heads be machined? I'd love to go for Nickies and JE's but the cost is prohibitive, especially since I've seen a set of brand new Mahle cylinders and pistons for $950.00.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Where did you see new Mahle p/c's for $950?

'68 911 Ossi Blue coupe
Old 10-23-2004, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I knew I shouldn't have put that out there. It was on Pay Pal, Good luck.
Old 10-23-2004, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: