Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Engine back in, but need help with newbie mistakes

Two weeks ago, when I thought I was ready to put the engine back in the car, I discovered that the previous owner had stripped 3 out of 4 of the transmission cross-mount studs. Yesterday I picked up the transmission from Motorworks in San Diego and today, with the help of a neighbor, I got the engine back in the car. Iím embarrassed to say that itís taken me a year to get this far (I bought the car from a guy who blew the engine and then let is sit in his driveway for three years). However, after the excitement of torquing the engine mounts, I realized that I had made several newbie mistakes (see pictures below):

1. I broke a connection tab off the CIS unit. Does anyone know if I can replace or solder the connection, or do I have to replace the entire unit?
2. The oil breather hose in the picture below is crumbling around the lip and definitely has to be replaced (I though I could get by with it . . .). Do I have to remove the CIS unit to access the breather vent on the engine?
3. I forgot to tighten a large nut on the oil line, which is just underneath one of the head exchangers. It looks like I have to take the heat exchanger off to reach the nut. Is that correct?

4. Finally, the electrical harness doesnít reach plug connection. Do I have to take the shroud off to find some extra slack?

I havenít looked yet, but I assume that I can get the breather hose and CIS part (if I need it) from Pelican.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Every time I think Iím close, I create more work for myself.

Charley
Old 11-07-2004, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I thought Iíd answer my own questions, since I probably jumped the gun asking for help (by Sunday my pertinence is usually shot).

On the fuel injection switch, the connector tab is screwed in, so that should be an easy fix (somebody was thinking of me when they designed it).

Since I just put the engine in, a partial drop to install a new Breather Hose should be a POC (partís already ordered).

As far as the wire harness goes, Iím thinking of removing the fan and/or fan strap so I can get my hand under the shroud. There may be too much wire under there. A friend at work told me that itís a common newbie mistake, but I didnít see any threads on this topic.

Iím almost there and I wouldnít have made it without the help of this community - thanks!
Old 11-09-2004, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: