Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Nickies

Anybody used these yet?
http://www.lnengineering.com/911.html
Old 12-09-2004, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

I have not used the Nickies, but Charles has a good product and they look like gems in person. The engineering appears to have been well executed. I'm waiting for an opportunity to use them. I believe Pelican sells them too.

Charles is great guy to work with and he often posts here.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Porschekid962 Send a message via Yahoo to Porschekid962
I've taken a look at them. Gems of a product, just need to keep on savin my pennies, the will definately go on my motor!!!
Old 12-09-2004, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yeah, they do look like a great product. Maybe their engineering will reduce the inherent problems of a mag case large displacement engine. Wonder if a mag case could handle their 95 mm set (95 x70.4) to produce a street version of a 3.0L RSR MFI engine?

Or maybe a 2.8 MFI in a 69-72 slightly stripped chassis ? You could probably use the RS cam in the MFI pump in a 2.8. I'm not sure it would work with a 3.0 - you'd probably have to go with bigger stacks and and RSR cam... that seems to be when it starts getting into mega bucks.

What do you guys think?
Old 12-09-2004, 08:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

If I was made of money I would use them instead of recycling my old ones.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Porschekid962 Send a message via Yahoo to Porschekid962
JSDSKI I started another post about an engine build. Camgrinder came in to the rescue with the way to build a supe short stroke 3.0 engine. Start with a 3.0 case and crank. Throw on 98mm p's and c's, have the crank machined to 66mm and get some custom con rods. He stated that pauter makes a con rod for this app. John also mentioned that engines built like this can spin over 9K!!!!!
Old 12-09-2004, 11:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally posted by Porschekid962
JSDSKI I started another post about an engine build. Camgrinder came in to the rescue with the way to build a supe short stroke 3.0 engine. Start with a 3.0 case and crank. Throw on 98mm p's and c's, have the crank machined to 66mm and get some custom con rods. He stated that pauter makes a con rod for this app. John also mentioned that engines built like this can spin over 9K!!!!!
Sounds like it would be easier to just use a 1976/77 Euro Carrera or Turbo case?

-Wayne
SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)
Old 12-10-2004, 02:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally posted by JSDSKI
Wonder if a mag case could handle their 95 mm set (95 x70.4) to produce a street version of a 3.0L RSR MFI engine?
Not likely - the weaknesses are in the case material - not the cylinders...

-Wayne
SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)
Old 12-10-2004, 02:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I guess 2.8 is the max for a mag case lightweight early car... will the standard S cams and S/RS MFI setup will work with a 2.8?

(jeez, posting at 3:18am - I hope you're in a different time zone!)
Old 12-10-2004, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I do try to make the best product possible and there are many who think the world of the product I offer. I might not have a long track record with the 911s, but I have a proven track record with the Porsche 914s and VWs, and most recently, the 356 and 912, where my product has shown itself to be well worth it's weight in gold. If there are any questions someone has about any of my products, don't hesitate to ask. Again, like Souk said, Pelican is an authorized dealer for all our products, even if they aren't all listed in the online catalog!

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance
Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution
Old 12-10-2004, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Charles, any 3.4L turbo sets?

david 89 turbo cab
Old 12-10-2004, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Yup, every cylinder from 2.0 through 3.8 RSR, including all rare sizes, like 89s and machine in big bore kits for 3.0/3.2 for 3.5/3.7 conversions.

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
Old 12-10-2004, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Okay how about pistons? Something that mimicks the RUF 3.4 would be nice if if came without the RUF Price $$$$ I am guessing a lot of turbo owners would like that!
Old 12-11-2004, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Well, anything JE can make I can fit to one of my cylinders. We're moving to a cryo'ed and stress relieved alloy on the next batch that should further improve cooling, strength, and longevity and will be ready sometime in Jan.

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
Old 12-11-2004, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I used a set of Charles' LN Engineering 98mm (3.4L) cylinders matched to some JE's in my rebuild. Superb craftsmanship and great customer service.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

How accurate are the C/R's with the JE pistons?

Jeff
Old 12-13-2004, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Warren Hall Student

Garage
Quote:
I guess 2.8 is the max for a mag case lightweight early car... will the standard S cams and S/RS MFI setup will work with a 2.8?
Mahle made a 2.9L (93mm) set for the mag case motors. It uses the same size spigot as the 2.7L (90mm) cylinder. That is that they are both 97mm spigots. The only problem is that cylinder is so thin in places (2mm) that it can flex. So the problem isn't the case but the cylinder. The interesting thing here is that Charles' cylinders are stronger because they are cut from billets so using a 93mm cylinder with a 93mm JE piston to give you 2.9L might be the way to go for a big bore into mag case application.

The 3.0L 95mm cylinders would be to much to ask of about any cylinder in a 97mm spigot because that means at the thinnest areas your cylinder would only be 1mm thick so you have to enlarge the spigots for larger cylinders which puts you into the problem that Wayne mentioned. Besides, 3.0L motors are so cheap now that they are the less expensive way to go than to start with a 2.7L and build a 2.8 or 2.9L mag case motor.

As for the 2nd part of the question. Yes, an S/RS MFI setup with S cams could be used for a 2.8L. That's what Porsche did for the 3.0RS. It's MFI induction is the same as the 2.7RS. The numbers seem to support this because the 3.0RS has only 20HP more than the 2.7RS. My guess is that they figured most would be converted to RSR so why redesign for a limited production homologation car that's going to be built up to RSR spec.

Warren Hall 1950 - 2008
_____"Early_S_Man"_____

Last edited by Bobboloo; 12-14-2004 at 02:49 AM..
Old 12-14-2004, 02:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobboloo The interesting thing here is that Charles' cylinders are stronger because they are cut from billets so using a 93mm cylinder with a 93mm JE piston to give you 2.9L might be the way to go for a big bore into mag case application .
Yeah, I was thinking the Nickies design would make up for the cyl wall weakness of the old style. But Wayne makes a good point... a lot of the long term weakness came from the mag case design. So PAG created the alum case solution. I'm after a street engine and don't want to renew cases every 10K like the racing dept!

"Besides, 3.0L motors are so cheap now that they are the less expensive way to go than to start with a 2.7L and build a 2.8 or 2.9L mag case motor."

OK but what is the alum case weight is vs mag? At a certain point a 911 is no longer a "lightweight" and maybe the alum case is one of those fundamental indicators?

As for the 2nd part of the question. Yes, an S/RS MFI setup with S cams could be used for a 2.8L. That's what Porsche did for the 3.0RS. It's MFI induction is the same as the 2.7RS.

Interesting. I thought the 3.0 MFI had taller or bigger throttle bodies and a different space cam. I know that Grady Clay says the RS set up works on a 2.8 and his reccomendation and yours is good enough for me. I think I would give the pump rebuilder the specs and let him recommend a set up. If the stock S/RS MFI set up would work for a 3L. AND its not too heavy.... maybe a 3.0 is the way to go - thanks for the info.

Last edited by JSDSKI; 12-14-2004 at 06:56 PM..
Old 12-14-2004, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to 82SC
hmm I thought the 3.0RS had larger throttle bodies then the 2.7RS...I think someone had a great chart showing the different specs of the MFI throttle bodies (RS, ST, 3.0RS, etc...)

I have a set of S throttle bodies and was under the assumption that I'd have to bore them out as well as my S stacks when I FINALLY get to building a 3.0 MFI motor...

I wouldn't be surprised if the MFI pump had the same specs...because I believe the 3.0RS ran the S-cams, and the MFI cam is tied heavily to what engine cam you are using...
Old 12-14-2004, 10:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: