-JE 95mm pistons in 3.2 cylinders, 11:1 or so
-3.2 heads
-3.0 RSR 'Sprint' cams
-40mm webers
-Single plug
-Racing Valve springs & retainers

I want to do an engine that will go to 8k, so:
-What size ports? Standard 3.2 @ 40/38?
-Are 40mm webers big enough? What set up to use?
-ARE THE FACTORY 3.0 rods able to stand 8k ? This won't be a race motor, but more of a very racy street engine I would say that is periodically raced...If not 3.0 rods, Carrilos? Pauters?
-Are the factory rod bolts enough?
-Are the steel head studs enough?
-If I am going 95mm, does it make sense to just go to 98mm? OR, will going to 3.2SS mean bigger carbs and changes elsewhere?

I don't just want to be spinning to 8k just to spin to 8k, I want a lot of the power "up there"in the 7k range...

Thanks for feedback

Last edited by YTNUKLR; 12-12-2004 at 05:37 PM..
Old 12-12-2004, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Porschekid962 Send a message via Yahoo to Porschekid962
11:1 CR with single plug, I am no expert but is that pushing it?

How about this idea, Camgrinder mentioned it to me in another post.

3.0 case, crank, heads.
98mm p's and c's
destroke crank to 66mm and have rods made to match.
twin plug would be determined by CR.

high strung, super rev happy engine, top it off with mfi and you have a monster on your hands.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
up-fixing der car(ma)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to YTNUKLR
11:1 is definitely too high for pump fuel. So it would at least be a blend of race & pump...

That engine would be pretty sweet, but it comes at a much greater cost...
Old 12-12-2004, 11:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Porschekid962 Send a message via Yahoo to Porschekid962
Why a 3.2 case? Wayne said this in another post about 3.0 rsr style engine builds...

"- Use a Euro Carrera or 1976/77 Turbo case and use an early crank (preferred). These cases run about $1500 or so."

Were the turbo cases not stronger? Blending gas is fine if you have access to higher octane fuel, what happens if you want to take a road trip though?

What kind of induction and ignition would you like to/plan on using?
What kind of driving will it see? Cam profiles and what kind of driving seem like the best place to start the design of an engine. Things should then be built accordingly to those specs. just a youngn's .02
Old 12-13-2004, 12:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Just read your email. You want power way up at 8k you say, are you planning on driving this thing on the street? That will require some nasty cams that wont be suitable for street driving, talk to camgrinder and see what he thinks about it. If you plan on using a 3.2 as a base why not buy a complete engine with intake and full dme setup, put in 98mm p's and c's and get a custom chip from steve wong, a loyola grad like myself.

a 3.4 with fuel injection and hotter thank stock cams will give you plenty of low end grunt.

p.s. i live right by san rafael, south side of the 134 near the arroyo. have you driven many hot rod, high power cars before?
Old 12-13-2004, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally posted by Porschekid962
Just read your email. You want power way up at 8k you say, are you planning on driving this thing on the street? That will require some nasty cams that wont be suitable for street driving,
Nah, not really. 'S' cams in a 3.0 or a 3.2/3.4 make an incredibly powerful motor with loads of low-end torque. The larger displacement masks a lot of the low end problems that the tiny 2.0S had. I have Solex cams in my 3.0 right now, and it's a rocket, although these are not as hot as an 'S' cam.

The mod-S is a good choice too. I chose these for my 3.2 short stroke engine that I'm going to build one rainy day...

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997 SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)

Check out our new site: Dempsey Motorsports
Old 12-15-2004, 01:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Wayne, what induction and ignition are you using on your 3.0?

I said 8k because in his email to me he stated he wanted the engine to rev up to 8k, no point in revving that high and not using cams to harness the power that could be had up there.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
If you're going to buy a 3.2, destroke it, and then rev it so that you can achieve similar HP as the 3.2 -- why bother unless rules require it? If there is a capacity limit in a racing class, that may be a great strategy. But since you're talking about a street motor here -- why bother? Why not just take the 3.2, replace the rod bolts, pistons, cams and induction system (all of which you were going to replace anyhow) and have motor that's just as powerful, has more torque and will be less peaky for street use. Keep in mind that most people spend very little time (I'm guessing 3%-5% tops) over 5000 RPM, so why spend big $'s optoming the engine for a rev range from 5500 - 7500 RPM?

"It's a poor craftsman who blames their tools" -- Unknown
"Any suspension -- no matter how poorly designed -- can be made to work reasonably well if you just stop it from moving." -- Colin Chapman
Old 12-15-2004, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
My thoughts exactly!

Thats the same problem I had when designing my pop's new motor, sure high revs are fun at the track but its not like here is there every weekend. Better to have some grunt and upper midrange power and not worry about high strung engine letting go on the street
Old 12-15-2004, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
OCD project capitan

Garage
I guess there is just something b!tchin about listening to a 911 engine spin that high.... Its like a drug. Performance standpoint, your all right... but we NEED that DRUG!!!!
Old 12-15-2004, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Very true, if I had my way I would get a custom del west pneumatic valvetrain and spin it up to 10k+ hahahahahahahaha.

3.4 at 7500 sounds fine to me right now!
Old 12-15-2004, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
up-fixing der car(ma)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to YTNUKLR
Quote:
Originally posted by BigD9146gt
I guess there is just something b!tchin about listening to a 911 engine spin that high.... Its like a drug. Performance standpoint, your all right... but we NEED that DRUG!!!!
You nailed it.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
wayne, once you had the carbs dialed in have you had any difficulties with them with the weather change? Is the mileage tolerable?
Old 12-15-2004, 11:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally posted by Porschekid962
wayne, once you had the carbs dialed in have you had any difficulties with them with the weather change? Is the mileage tolerable?
I have a distributor problem (I'll post about this in another thread). Until I get this timing fixed, my carbs will still not be "dialed in." In other words, not quite there yet...

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997 SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)

Check out our new site: Dempsey Motorsports
Old 12-16-2004, 11:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: