Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Page 135 last paragraph.."rotate the crankshaft"...how?

After tightening all the fasteners......"rotate the crankshaft"......What's the method here? Attach the pulley again?

Thanks.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
That's the easiest way. You don't need to final torque it, just use a rachet
1996 993 RS Replica
2008 Yamaha R6
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Old 01-02-2005, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
omly guessing my book is downstairs, but I am guessing you have the rods in the case and the case halves together, if so, be aware the rods will hit the case and jamb up the crank, you need to fiddle with the rods to be sure they don't hang up.

It is the rod bolt nuts that catch on the inside of the case.

Jim

If everything seems under control, your not going fast enough.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by cstreit
That's the easiest way. You don't need to final torque it, just use a rachet
OK. So I did that.....and the crank rotates freely, no-binding with my large torque wrench between 35-39 ft/lbs. (after tightening the pulley nut for rotation, when I go in the direction of the pulley nut "lefty-loosey", the nut will eventually loosen)

Does this sound right? Or do I need to change the torque on the case bolts to loosen or tighten the rotation?

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by H.G.P.; 01-02-2005 at 09:55 PM..
Old 01-02-2005, 09:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

you should be able to rotate the crank by hand (on the pulley). 39ft/lb seems a lot to me.
'05 996 4S cab.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Peterfrans
you should be able to rotate the crank by hand (on the pulley). 39ft/lb seems a lot to me.
Yes, I see! I went around and checked all the torque values with another torque wrench, and found the oil cooler dome nuts to be a bit tight. Just a small difference, and now I can turn the crank pulley by hand, by one hand in fact. (It's firm though).

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2005, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Firm is okay. It takes abit to overcome the "stickiness" of the assembly lube. I've found that it generally takes around 20 ft/lbs if done about right.
1996 993 RS Replica
2008 Yamaha R6
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Old 01-03-2005, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by cstreit
Firm is okay. It takes abit to overcome the "stickiness" of the assembly lube. I've found that it generally takes around 20 ft/lbs if done about right.
After going crazy..... it stayed around 20 ft/lbs, but I could not move it by hand! Then after a very sllight change in the torque of cooler domes it finally came down to where I can move the pulley by hand thankfully.

(After compaining about passing through the homemade rod and chain supports, the case sat right down, fast enough and solid that I can't recall having a chance to see everything.....I know the pump seals went well, but it went so quick I wished I could have observed the #8 o-ring better.....but I was above the halves, ...but at least the #8 bearing looks good)

Last edited by H.G.P.; 01-03-2005 at 02:56 PM..
Old 01-03-2005, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Hmm, you can't check torque of a fastener if it's not turning - they will always read higher when they are static and not being tightened.

Hmm, my explanation is not clear?

-Wayne
SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)
Old 01-04-2005, 12:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts
Hmm, you can't check torque of a fastener if it's not turning - they will always read higher when they are static and not being tightened.

Hmm, my explanation is not clear?

-Wayne
I'm referring to amt. of resistance at the pulley. (Not the book explanations)
Old 01-04-2005, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

i.e. "freely" being highly subjective to this green-horn.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: