Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Cases together, crank turns freely, anyway to peer inside (i.e) to verify/checklist?

Cases halves together, crank I can turn with one or two hands (firmly), and smooth.

Is there a verifying checklist that can be done at this stage, such as peering around inside through the cylinder holes to see that everything is seated well, seals, bearings, etc.,? (I did use a small mirror, and can see the large oil pump ring is well seated).

Also, should I re-check all the torque values, etc.,

Anything else, as a check right after halves together?

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2005, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Well a boroscope would be perfect, but I doubt that you'd really be able to tell by looking that things are in order....
1996 993 RS Replica
2008 Yamaha R6
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Old 01-03-2005, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Tim Walsh
Rechecking the torque values is a good idea, but there isn't much else to do to check everything after it's all closed up.

What's the story behind the rebuild? stock 2.0? What kind of machine work was done to the case? These Mag cases are known to have all sorts of problems after they've been apart.
"Dave, hit the brakes, but don't look like your htting the brakes...what? I DON'T KNOW, BRAKE CASUAL!!!" dtw's thoughts after nearly rear ending a SHP officer
Old 01-03-2005, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Walsh
Rechecking the torque values is a good idea, but there isn't much else to do to check everything after it's all closed up.

What's the story behind the rebuild? stock 2.0? What kind of machine work was done to the case? These Mag cases are known to have all sorts of problems after they've been apart.
1. Dropped a valve...which...

2. Destroyed a (rare) OEM piston on #2.

3. Which also broke the piston skirt on #1.

4. Valve destroyed head #2. Fortunately did not drive ....coasted most of the way home where possible.

5. Priority = ORIGINALITY......or different car..........chose to keep originality 1969E (except for MFI change)

6. Choice of machine work........examination of intermediate layshaft OK vs. insert, ...measured ok, which so far seems to bear (no dropped bearings, steel studs in shape. etc.,)

7. Searched and found very hard to find rare Mahle E pistons.

8. Some priotiy problems solved: finding rare pistons, finding one rare in spec (in good shape) Biral cylinder.,

9. Clean, clean, clean, and clean...

10.. messy first timer mating case halves i.e with sealer.

8. More details later hopefully............................
Old 01-03-2005, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: